The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all....

Talking about a 1993 Mits. 190hp, 460 cu in engine. It starts fine, get to operating temp, etc. If you shut it off and let it sit for 5-10 mins and try to start it, it wont start. You have to crack the injectors and manually prime it with the pump. Where is it losing the prime from? It is not an outside leak. There must be a check valve somewhere?

·
454 Posts
Fuel system are pretty basic on diesel engines. Start by replacing the leak off rubber hoses that are between each injector if your truck has them, it should, but not all diesels have them. If that don't work, then replace your return line from the tank all the way to the injection pump, or where ever it may go. Make sure your fuel filter is nice and snug. If none of that works then you have to replace the supply line from the tank, to the lift pump. after the lift pump it should be metal fuel line so that shouldn't be an issue. Its a trial and error process and thats about all i can tell you is to take these steps i gave you and do one by one and eventually you will get it. Rubber hoses don't last forever and all it takes is a lil air and it loses its prime. rubber swells when it gets hot and thats why you lose prime when it gets hot. Another reason why i said to replace the leak off hoses first if you have them. Hope this helps and good luck.

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The leak off hoses are all metal. The leak is above the injection pump...I would think. It certainly leaks off fast. I would think that it should spit out fuel if it were outside of the tank, seeing it leaks down that fast.

I'm a pretty savvy diesel mechanic, but seemingly stumped at the moment.

Thanks for the input. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts