The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up, Mobil is having a nice rebate offer right now, $12.00 off per gallon jug of Delvac1 ESP 5W40, 5 gal max per customer. I just picked up five 1-gal jugs of it at my local ranch supply store for 24.99 per gal plus the 12.00 off per gal makes it only 12.99 per gal.

I switched to this oil at the beginning of this last winter after reading Bismic's results running this stuff, it's probably one of the best 5w40 oils out there, if not the very best 5w40, and works very well in a 6.0L.

Be sure to check the participating dealers list before purchasing for the rebate offer if you do end up getting some of this, it can be found here...

https://mobildelvac.com/en/promotion/mobil-delvac-promotions/save-up-to-60-dollars-with-mobil-delvac

Harry

·
1,213 Posts
Pep Boys has a 35% off sale with online purchases over $100 - and free shipping. The code is SECRET35. Not sure how much longer it is going on. You have to buy at least 6 gallons to get the 35% discount.

That would put the oil at $18.19 each (regularly $27.99). I don't think Pep Boys is participating in the Exxon/Mobil rebate program, but I am going to go ask them.

·
1,213 Posts
The full details from their checkout page (a little contradiction on $100 vs $150) - see below.

Sale is essentially over for store pickup orders and will end tonight (2:59 am EST on 3/29/15) for shipped orders.

$18 certainly isn't as good as $13, but it still isn't bad!!!! I could not find any Exxon/Mobil participating dealers in the area that had the ESP or could even order it.

25% Off Orders over $75 or 35% off Orders over $100
Use promotional code 25SPRING4U at checkout to receive 25% Off Orders over $75. Use promotional code SECRET35 at checkout to receive 35% off Orders over $150.Offer is not valid in combination with any other offers, rebates or discounts; not available to Pep Boys' Fleet & Commercial accounts; does not apply to wheels, labor, special order merchandise, tires or the purchase of gift cards. Excludes tires, special order, wheels, outside purchase or sale products. Excludes the following brands: Traxxas, Superchips, Hypertech, Edge, Bully Dog, Diablo, Edelbrock, Holley, Autometer, Accel, K&N, NOS, MSD and BBK Performance. Valid online until 2:59 am EST on 3/29/15. Online orders scheduled for in-store pick up must be completed in store by closing on 3/28/15 for discount to apply.

Harry -

Which Farm and Ranch did you purchase from?

Reactions: harry6.0

·
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Formerely Big-R Stores, which changed it's name recently to North 40 Outfitters.

Big R stores is on the Mobil list, but not North 40, it's the same company, same owners, just different name now.

I emailed Mobil about this concern this last Thursday, but have not heard back from them. My luck the person processing the rebate claim will just look at the list and say...nope not on the list.

North 40 sent me a flyer in the mail advertising the Mobil rebate and even had the official rebate forms at the counter during checkout and printed an extra receipt for me to mail in.

I just mailed it in the next morning, but maybe should of done it through the online form instead.

Heres a link to their store locations http://north40.com/storelocator/index/ , but it's all inland northwest region where I live. Their website sucks, not much showing there. But they are a great ranch supply store if you ever go inside one.

Harry

Reactions: bismic

·
1,213 Posts
Thanks Harry. That $24.99 "normal" price for the ESP is a great one. I hadn't seen it down here for under $31. I was surprised at the $27.99 at Pep Boys. There are two more places nearby where I can look (on Monday) that are on the "participating distributor" list, but they are commercial trucking companies and they tend to be very high priced to begin with.

Reactions: harry6.0

·
1,213 Posts
VOA for Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 - from Blackstone (4-24-15)

Attachments

Reactions: jsm180 and harry6.0

·
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for voa Mark!

I noticed Blackstones report shows the flashpoint at 430F, but Mobil has it listed at 480F(249C).

I also notice my cac boots are not sweating oil with the Delvac1 ESP, they are bone dry, and I still have a stock ccv system.

I'm thinkin less ccv gasses are being produced.

I like this oil.

Harry

Reactions: mabynack

·
1,213 Posts
I have never felt that the flash point was all that accurate from Blackstone. They use it to estimate % fuel dilution also and I have seen differences in their results vs other companies that do the fuel dilution test by GC mass-spec I believe.

I definitely agree that there are less vapors in the crankcase with the Mobil Delvac 1 oil - at least that is what I have seen also.

I just got my used oil analysis results back on the last oil change (apprx 7400 miles). I has switched back to Mobil 1 TDT 5W40 since I had run out of the Mobil Delvac 1 ESP. I had switched from the Delvac 1 back to TDT once before and both times I noticed that the oil had sheared a little more than with the Delvac 1 ESP. After 7400 miles, I was down to 11.55 cSt, which is slightly above where the Rotella T5 10W30 starts (virgin oil). I like the TDT oil, but I like the Delvac 1 more.

·
44 Posts
Thanks all for keeping us informed on the best oils available - much appreciated!

Bismic said, " Use promotional code SECRET35 at checkout to receive 35% off Orders over $150.Offer -- etc -- Valid online until 2:59 am EST on 3/29/15. Online orders scheduled for in-store pick up must be completed in store by closing on 3/28/15 for discount to apply."

Today I called Pep Boys and they gave me the 35% discount off their 27.99 in store price for store pickup. I called Exxon/Mobile and they said their 60.00 rebate for 5 gallons is good on a Pep Boys purchase even though Pep Boys is not listed on their web site as a participating dealer.

Sounded so good I ordered 4 cases :knight

Reactions: bismic and harry6.0

·
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just an update.

Received my Mobil rebate check about 4 weeks after I submitted it.

I'm due for my 5k oil change but the truck still runs really well.

I don't think I will use any other oil but this from now on. For my climate region-zone this has been the best oil I have run through this engine, it dosen't feel like it needs an oil change yet like other oils would in the past. Just hope they don't change the formulation any time soon, I stocked up on 8 gal of the stuff for now.

Harry

·
1,213 Posts
Decided to catch an oil sample a little early - just to add to the viscosity data.

4600 miles on the oil (Mobil Delvac 1). This 5W40 is still nicely a 40 wt., showing that the oil does NOT drop quickly to a 30 wt. The iron is higher than the universal averages, but continues to drop using this oil (iron rose to the 80's with Valvoline PBE).

I will continue to go 7500 miles on it. I will post the results again at the 7500 mile point.

Results below:

7/7/2015
162,160 Miles on Truck
4,602 Miles on Oil
value......parameter
2.................Aluminum
1.................Chromium
31...............Iron
1.................Copper
1.................Lead
0.................Tin
2.................Molybdenum
0.................Nickel
0.................Manganese
0.................Silver
0.................Titanium
9.................Potassium
73...............Boron
3.................Silicon
4.................Sodium
1297...........Calcuim
1017...........Magnesium
1153...........Phosphorous
1397...........Zinc
0.................Barium

68.5............SUS vis at 210 F
12.55..........cSt at 100 C
425.............Flashpoint
<0.5............Fuel
0.................Antifreeze
0.................Water (Karl Fischer)
TR................Insolubles

SAE 30 weight viscosity range - 56.5 to 68 SUS OR 9.3 to 12.49 cStokes
SAE 40 weight viscosity range - 68 to 82.5 SUS OR 12.5 to 16.29 cStokes

·
1,324 Posts
I see pep boys still has a good promo. I think I'm going to switch to this oil and run longer intervals since you have shown it holds up. The amount of driving I do this will last a year. Thanks for sharing and doing the oil analysis.

·
6 Posts
Decided to catch an oil sample a little early - just to add to the viscosity data.

4600 miles on the oil (Mobil Delvac 1). This 5W40 is still nicely a 40 wt., showing that the oil does NOT drop quickly to a 30 wt. The iron is higher than the universal averages, but continues to drop using this oil (iron rose to the 80's with Valvoline PBE).

I will continue to go 7500 miles on it. I will post the results again at the 7500 mile point.

Results below:

7/7/2015
162,160 Miles on Truck
4,602 Miles on Oil
value......parameter
2.................Aluminum
1.................Chromium
31...............Iron
1.................Copper
1.................Lead
0.................Tin
2.................Molybdenum
0.................Nickel
0.................Manganese
0.................Silver
0.................Titanium
9.................Potassium
73...............Boron
3.................Silicon
4.................Sodium
1297...........Calcuim
1017...........Magnesium
1153...........Phosphorous
1397...........Zinc
0.................Barium

68.5............SUS vis at 210 F
12.55..........cSt at 100 C
425.............Flashpoint
<0.5............Fuel
0.................Antifreeze
0.................Water (Karl Fischer)
TR................Insolubles

SAE 30 weight viscosity range - 56.5 to 68 SUS OR 9.3 to 12.49 cStokes
SAE 40 weight viscosity range - 68 to 82.5 SUS OR 12.5 to 16.29 cStokes
Bismic, just curious do you have any additives in this oil sample? ie: Archoil or HHS or anything else worth mentioning? I have been using the Delo 5w40 since I bought my truck two years ago and I change the oil at 5000 mile intervals(i'll be interested in the 7500mi. sample you provide) ...but have yet to sample the oil, I did have a test kit sent to me but I have HHS in this oil run and think I'll wait until I drain that out and have just straight Delo to sample before I use the kit.

·
1,213 Posts
There are no additives in this oil.

I will post the 7500 mile results, but I have run 7500 miles with the Mobil 1 for the 3 previous oil changes (this will be the 4th). One 7500 mile run was with Mobil 1 TDT, the rest has been w/ the Mobil Delvac 1.

·
6 Posts
There are no additives in this oil.

I will post the 7500 mile results, but I have run 7500 miles with the Mobil 1 for the 3 previous oil changes (this will be the 4th). One 7500 mile run was with Mobil 1 TDT, the rest has been w/ the Mobil Delvac 1.
I thought you were running Chevron DELO 5w40....My mistake. I am running the Chevron Delo400 5w40 thats why I was interested in your results so much, I guess I'll have to run my own test with that brand:imok: Good luck with your results :grin2:

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
Hey Mark,

Just saw this. I'd call it 35wt>:)

For your higher iron level, did you operate the truck any differently such as more trailering, heavier loads or more in-town running?

·
1,213 Posts
LOL!

yeah, it was just above the 30 wt top spec, but none-the-less, it was above!!!

I did not operate the truck much differently. None of the recent runs have had a lot of towing. I would say the last 4-5 runs have all been about the same.

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
I'm almost ready for an oil change so I figured I'd check out the Pep Boys promotion. At this time they offer a 25% discount but the oil is now $37.41 per gallon :surprise: . So, no ..... I won't be trying this oil at this time.

·
321 Posts
So I'm not a 6.0 owner anymore but there is still great info in here. In getting ready for my first oil change on my new 6.7. Abyine have any experience with oil in that motor. I've always used T6, but the higher flash point and lower crank case vapors would be a good thing. The new motor runs hotter than my 6.0. When should I switch to synthetic? I'll be at 5000 miles soon. Thanks for the help. Not many new posts in the 6.7 section so thought I would check here. Thanks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts