The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im pretty pissed i just lost to a 2007 duramax that had a few things like a crazzy larry 150hp chip.

I have a Garret powermax ball bearing turbo,Edge Juice, AFEII intake, 5" exaust, shift kit,and a few other things. I have 40" muddin tires with a 8.5
"lift

I kicked his *** from 0-60 but he started getting closer in my mirror around 70 and passed me around 75...

I think theres a few reasons why he caught up and im wondering what you guys think.
-1. he has a 6speed auto and i have a 4speed auto (wich i raced with no overdrive the whole race dont know if i should have turned it on when he was catching up)
-2. I have a stock wastegate and a turbo rated for 40-45lbs of boost and i was only getting about 25lbs of boost because of that stock wastegate.
-3. I only got a 75hp chip and wonder if i stacked a edge evo or a superchips if i would have won...

All i know is i will never be able to work another day without people coming up and giving me **** all day till i beat this guy. ive never lost to anyone but ived only raced to around 70 before this

any advice to kill this pice of ****?
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
282 Posts
Lets see... what year is your truck... I am assuming it is a 7.3 at least..

gears, different chip (dp tuner), turbo master wastegate controller, map sensor fooler...

then the spendy items.. injectors, tranny upgrades (valve body or torque converter), fuel system, headstuds, the list can go on....

but then again you could do all that and still lose...

But the 40" tires are not going to help you much either...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 2002 7.3L
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
6,337 Posts
Your suprized you lost to a duramax??? Hello micfly... there rated at more horsepower stock then you are putting to the ground now... Then you add what ever boxes he had...

If you want to hang with him (note I did not say beat him) then a set of stage 2 or hybrid injectors, Good tunes from Jody at DP or Tadd at Elite, you might be able to hang with him... But in short order you will need a built tranny, then Rods and then Studs...

I have seen Duramaxes with stacked boxes put down 600hp... With nothing done under the VC...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
well they are quick i have a 01 powerstoke race me and i hvae a lly duramax he had me off the line becasue of turbo lag . but i smoke him after we got going they are quick on top end
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
CSIPSD said:
Your suprized you lost to a duramax??? Hello micfly... there rated at more horsepower stock then you are putting to the ground now... Then you add what ever boxes he had...

If you want to hang with him (note I did not say beat him) then a set of stage 2 or hybrid injectors, Good tunes from Jody at DP or Tadd at Elite, you might be able to hang with him... But in short order you will need a built tranny, then Rods and then Studs...

I have seen Duramaxes with stacked boxes put down 600hp... With nothing done under the VC...

vc? if they were running 600 they had to have nos or bigger turbo
 

·
Nasty Girl
Joined
·
580 Posts
fwdcummins said:
vc? if they were running 600 they had to have nos or bigger turbo
vc- Valve Cover :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
I only have one thing to say DONT RACE DURAMAXES!!!!!!!!! Ive never beaten one or even seen anybody beat one they are quick as crap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
Strokin40s said:
Im pretty pissed i just lost to a 2007 duramax that had a few things like a crazzy larry 150hp chip.

I have a Garret powermax ball bearing turbo,Edge Juice, AFEII intake, 5" exaust, shift kit,and a few other things. I have 40" muddin tires with a 8.5
"lift

I kicked his *** from 0-60 but he started getting closer in my mirror around 70 and passed me around 75...

I think theres a few reasons why he caught up and im wondering what you guys think.
-1. he has a 6speed auto and i have a 4speed auto (wich i raced with no overdrive the whole race dont know if i should have turned it on when he was catching up)
-2. I have a stock wastegate and a turbo rated for 40-45lbs of boost and i was only getting about 25lbs of boost because of that stock wastegate.
-3. I only got a 75hp chip and wonder if i stacked a edge evo or a superchips if i would have won...

All i know is i will never be able to work another day without people coming up and giving me **** all day till i beat this guy. ive never lost to anyone but ived only raced to around 70 before this

any advice to kill this pice of ****?
Its going to take close to 20g's to beat that dmax. Why? Because your engine ahs PMR's- Powerdered Metal Rods and they will hold maybe 350-400 before they break. On top of an engine build, your going to need trans, turbo, injectors, fuel system, tuning........... the list goes on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
lukecline said:
Its going to take close to 20g's to beat that dmax. Why? Because your engine ahs PMR's- Powerdered Metal Rods and they will hold maybe 350-400 before they break. On top of an engine build, your going to need trans, turbo, injectors, fuel system, tuning........... the list goes on.

i dont know about $20,000 to beat it but you are looking at a chip, turbo, big oil and injectors and even then hope to god the guy you race cant drive and aint put anything but a superchips on his truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,870 Posts
I have embarrased a few. They normally think fode's are easy targets
 

·
Nasty Girl
Joined
·
580 Posts
LocoMotion said:
I have embarrased a few. They normally think fode's are easy targets
Most are easy targets but there are a few that are to be respected! Extended Power (Ivan) has a kickazz Ferd!:woot:
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
6,337 Posts
frogman18 said:
i dont know about $20,000 to beat it but you are looking at a chip $600, turbo $2000, big oil $2000 and injectors $2000 and even then hope to god the guy you race cant drive and aint put anything but a superchips on his truck.

There is $6600, Add some studs $600, then Head work including Valve springs $600 (what I just paid), then Forged Rods $600-$700, then a built tranny $3500-$5000 and thats right at $12,000 with NO Labor charges... At that point, you MIGHT hang with a D-max...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
I only ran one once, 07, it was stock and my 05 6.0 was running on the sct with a caned street tune, and it walked all over me. stock there still lighting fast.
 

·
Nasty Girl
Joined
·
580 Posts
CSIPSD said:
There is $6600, Add some studs $600, then Head work including Valve springs $600 (what I just paid), then Forged Rods $600-$700, then a built tranny $3500-$5000 and thats right at $12,000 with NO Labor charges... At that point, you MIGHT hang with a D-max...

:iagree :whs
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
748 Posts
Strokin40s said:
Im pretty pissed i just lost to a 2007 duramax that had a few things like a crazzy larry 150hp chip.

I have a Garret powermax ball bearing turbo,Edge Juice, AFEII intake, 5" exaust, shift kit,and a few other things. I have 40" muddin tires with a 8.5
"lift

I kicked his *** from 0-60 but he started getting closer in my mirror around 70 and passed me around 75...

I think theres a few reasons why he caught up and im wondering what you guys think.
-1. he has a 6speed auto and i have a 4speed auto (wich i raced with no overdrive the whole race dont know if i should have turned it on when he was catching up)
-2. I have a stock wastegate and a turbo rated for 40-45lbs of boost and i was only getting about 25lbs of boost because of that stock wastegate.
-3. I only got a 75hp chip and wonder if i stacked a edge evo or a superchips if i would have won...

All i know is i will never be able to work another day without people coming up and giving me **** all day till i beat this guy. ive never lost to anyone but ived only raced to around 70 before this

any advice to kill this pice of ****?
I think you should be happy you had him up to 70 mph. His truck is 5 years newer which means a common rail fuel system which is newer technology and much improved over yours. He's also probably got at least 25k more into his than you do. (Depending on when you bought your truck) and you have 40's.
In my book, you won!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
790 Posts
frogman18 said:
i dont know about $20,000 to beat it but you are looking at a chip, turbo, big oil and injectors and even then hope to god the guy you race cant drive and aint put anything but a superchips on his truck.
Start adding up what it will take to get your truck into the 12's and there's your cost. Dmaxes with EFI live, built trans and fuel system will get into the 12's. If you spray it will be easier to beat them, but on fuel only its going to be very tough to edge out a good running dmax.
 

·
Diesel Mafia #67
Joined
·
11,283 Posts
Duramaxes arent something to mess with man.. That EFI live.. Is the chit..( thats my next project.. LLY i'd rather deal with over heating then cracked pistons..!! You got to think its a 7.3 your going to need big oil, injectors, tranny and everything else that Joe listed.. At that.. most 7.3's WITH OUT big oil will go.. 15-14.5 in the 1/4... A d-max with EFI can go lowe 13's high 12's then you add the fuel system, trubo, spray.. :evil:

Ive seen a D-max lay out 500/1100 on stock injectros and turbo.. and 7xx with a shot of No2..( dont know if the turbo was stock.. or not Ill post that video

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/ec3301c6-dace-4101-b248-f227af31bee7.htm
 

·
Diesel Mafia #67
Joined
·
11,283 Posts
CSIPSD said:
There is $6600, Add some studs $600, then Head work including Valve springs $600 (what I just paid), then Forged Rods $600-$700, then a built tranny $3500-$5000 and thats right at $12,000 with NO Labor charges... At that point, you MIGHT hang with a D-max...
Thats alot of money..!!! :splat gald I got a cheap ol cummins.. :woot:
 
1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Top