The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wasn't quite sure where to post this but I figured since it was a bunch of pictures, I would put it with the other pictures. Here is my current A model project. It's a 74. I streched it to a 280" wheelbase, so naturally, the steering had to be adressed. Most of the donor parts came from a 89 International. I haven't installed any stops yet. Here's what I ended up with:

Attachments

·
2,555 Posts
I wasn't quite sure where to post this but I figured since it was a bunch of pictures, I would put it with the other pictures. Here is my current A model project. It's a 74. I streched it to a 280" wheelbase, so naturally, the steering had to be adressed. Most of the donor parts came from a 89 International. I haven't installed any stops yet. Here's what I ended up with:
This is what this forum was built for :five That steering retro fit looks great:thumbsup just to warn guy not all IH s turn sharp I have a customer with a 85 co9670 that turned about 5 degrees til we put a box from an 88 on it :hijacked

·
93 Posts
Did your truck originally have Vickers power steering?
Kenworth used to sell a kit that replaced the Gemmer box and Vickers ram with a Ross HFB 64 steering box.
I installed quite a few of them.

Terry

·
2,824 Posts
I'm really curious as to how my steering is going to work once I get my truck mobile, it doesn't have a conventional power steering setup, this might be something I may have to look into doing.

·
24 Posts
I have a 81' does my truck have the same steering box as your 75? I know for sure my box says Ross on it and its tucked on the chassis right under where your feet wood be in front of my battery box pretty tightly fit. My largest problem with this truck is that it doesn't cut or turn for nothing takes way to much space to turn and once you do she bottoms out quick its like zero turning radius. are all of these A models like this? I had a older mid 80's flc120 that had a way better turning zone then this thing, the worst part about it is that I do many local moves parking can be *****, a bit of an odd ball when I saw steering gear but I figured that's the way it was made.

have you driven truck yet with the conversion?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts