The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post to this site. After reading some of the posts, there is a wealth of knowledge out there regarding diesels. This is my first diesel so looking for advise.

I recently purchased an 07 Dodge 2500, Mega Cab, automatic O/D, 4X4 with the Cummins 5.9L 24 valve diesel. I will be using the truck primarily to tow my 9000 lb 5th wheel RV. Talking to other diesel folks, they tell me that the easiest way to increase HP & torque are 3 ways....intake, exhaust and a chip.

Without going too radical, what do you folks recommend for these 3 items...I don't want to install anything that would void the warranty.

What's the recommended diesel oil. Is synthetic a good choise and when is a good time to switch to synthetic. I've got less than 3 k on the engine right now.

Also, diesel fuel is a little confusing to me. I live in N. Ga. and some of the pumps are marked with Higway Speed Fuel, Low sulfer and not recommended for 2007 and later vehicles while other pumps are not marked at all....I thought that there were only 2 basic diesel fuels, Farm diesel and Commercial diesel.

Lot of questions here....sorry, still "Green" when it comes to diesels...gas motors, no problem have built, rebuilt and mod'd many.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was looking for advise, not a spelling lecture.....got it right in the second paragraph, guess you didn't get that far.

·
Official TDG Doctor
5,281 Posts
didnt care to get it that far, plus your in the wrong place, you shoulda posted it in the 3rd Gen Common Rail Performance. Plus I care a lot about my truck and the engine in it, you spelling Cummins wrong is like a slap in the face...

Nathaniel

·
8 Posts
If it was my truck i'd say silverline exhaust, Edge juice w/ attitude, and an S+B air intake or AFE (way more expensive) I am not sure on the whole fuel thing. Hope everything works out. Post back and let me know what you purchased.

Jimmy

·
3,514 Posts
Well, your motor is a little different than ours. And your best bet would probably be to ask the CR (common Rail) boys what they think. With that said. My advice to anyone looking to Tow with their truck, would be do a lot of research and get a lot of Opinions before you go out and start buying mods.

Exhaust, Intake and Gauges is always a good way to start, let it breathe a little better and keep an eye on what is going on under your hood. As for chips, tuners and power adders. If you plan on towing and don't want to go too aggresive, I would just stick to a timing only box like an Edge EZ. Once you move on to something hotter, like a fueling box, That increases pulse width and duration the supporting mods start getting more expensive quickly.

An Edge Juice with Attitude, A tst PMCR, Triple dog, PPE, any of those will eat your trans pretty quickly especially if you're towing. Not to mention they will all be too hot to tow with on a stock charger. If you don't want to spend the money to make everything work right, stick with smaller mods, and be leary of guys that tell you to throw a hot box on and you'll be fine.

I'd look at either an EZ like I said earlier in this post, or a Smarty.
Hope this helps. And welcome to the site.
Sean

·
365 Posts
welcome eagle1! You have probably thought of this, but as I was reading your first post, you are pretty well informed. Maybe tow w/ your new truck for a few months, and determine what you feel it lacks. Then from there maybe start adding on to it. i.e. air intake, exhaust etc... My way of thinking is little steps instead of jumping in knee deep. Congrats and good luck!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
first off welcome, second off, Robfrass is right, don't get everything at once, especially with so little miles, I'd start with exhaust, it's always good to let the exhaust go, delete your cat and get a new muffler, or go straight pipe

intake probably wouldn't be a bad idea either, with either of these two things yhou're not cahnging the engine, only how the air moves in and out of it

as for a chip, as posted before, something light power-wise, anything too aggresive and you'll tear up your trans, but the chip can wait, see how it pulls when it breathes and go from there

·
Registered
550 Posts
I would look into a smarty. they are a very universal programer, that would work well with you while towing and then later on if you decide to get more aggresivewith your truck and building more power then the smarty will stack great with any big fueling box. but like everyone else has told you exhaust intake and gauges are a must for a tow rig.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
eagle1 said:
Hi all, this is my first post to this site. After reading some of the posts, there is a wealth of knowledge out there regarding diesels. This is my first diesel so looking for advise.

You came to the right place...

I recently purchased an 07 Dodge 2500, Mega Cab, automatic O/D, 4X4 with the Cummins 5.9L 24 valve diesel. I will be using the truck primarily to tow my 9000 lb 5th wheel RV. Talking to other diesel folks, they tell me that the easiest way to increase HP & torque are 3 ways....intake, exhaust and a chip.

This is correct. But before you even start there get your gauges before you even upgrade the power. Take care of your intake and exhaust before the fuel... It will help control you EGT.

Without going too radical, what do you folks recommend for these 3 items...I don't want to install anything that would void the warranty.

Sad but true anything you put on the truck could VOID the warranty...

What's the recommended diesel oil. Is synthetic a good choise and when is a good time to switch to synthetic. I've got less than 3 k on the engine right now.

I'm using Exxon XD-3 its certified by Cummins. I can buy 5 gallon buckets at $40 bucks a bucket!

Also, diesel fuel is a little confusing to me. I live in N. Ga. and some of the pumps are marked with Higway Speed Fuel, Low sulfer and not recommended for 2007 and later vehicles while other pumps are not marked at all....I thought that there were only 2 basic diesel fuels, Farm diesel and Commercial diesel.

You got to stick to ULSD for you new rig. Other than that you risk losing your warranty.

Lot of questions here....sorry, still "Green" when it comes to diesels...gas motors, no problem have built, rebuilt and mod'd many.

Keep asking question people will help with what they know..
Yea... Everyone is Right though... It's a Cummins...:Thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts