The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If i had the intake mod, 4in exhaust, dp tuner, and gauges. What would be next on the list of mods that i could do myself to improve the performance of my truck?:shrug:

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
I would beef up your tranny some

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
oh well then I would go big oil, and stage 2's.
thats what i would like to do to my truck next anyways.

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
well the engine doesn't have to come out to do those mods but they are spendy. so you ride bikes what do you have?

·
461 Posts
That's about the extent of the "cheap" mods.

The stock clutch is going to slip on any chip settings higher than 80 on the F5 (ask me how I know), so more mods without a way to put the additional power to the ground are useless anyway. A higher HP rated clutch is THE next step.

You can also do the BS mods like CCV reroute, zoodad, AIH delete, etc but they're not going to give you any discernable HP increase. You can maybe fool with stuff like the 6.0 intercooler, wicked wheel, EBPV gut, etc...but like I said, the F5 gives more power than the truck can hold so its irrelevant.

After that is injectors and big oil, then a new turbo to keep up, then new injectors to keep up with the new turbo, wash, rinse, repeat.

good luck
Paul

·
244 Posts
dweymer said:
What can be done to beef up an auto trans, other than a full rebuild?
You first want to replace the valve body or improve it with a shift kit and next you would want to upgrade your torque converter.
BTS does custom valve body's for your truck, and they make amazing torque converters, plus I believe that when you buy a T/C the price will go towards your full build if you eventually need one, so that is a huge help.

·
190 Posts
Shadowskater said:
You first want to replace the valve body or improve it with a shift kit and next you would want to upgrade your torque converter.
BTS does custom valve body's for your truck, and they make amazing torque converters, plus I believe that when you buy a T/C the price will go towards your full build if you eventually need one, so that is a huge help.
They don't make the converters. They sell someone else's converters who buys parts from someone else. If you have any doubts with a trans just don't but a converter. If you trans goes and takes the converter with it. Then you have the rebuild and 2 converters.

·
Dieselis' Maximus
1,744 Posts
He said he has a Manual Tranny he wont have a Converter, Look at a South bend Clutch or equivillant.

·
461 Posts
yeah, quit hijacking his thread with this auto tranny devil speak!!!:evil:

·
244 Posts
BlindViper said:
They don't make the converters. They sell someone else's converters who buys parts from someone else. If you have any doubts with a trans just don't but a converter. If you trans goes and takes the converter with it. Then you have the rebuild and 2 converters.
My bad on the auto tranny reference, yeah I know BTS sells Precision Torque Converters, and also I said when you buy the T/C from them if you go through the right people and talk to the right people they will put the money you spent towards the full rebuild when you need it. So if it was auto, and you through in a valve body + T/C and then your tranny dies you get the full rebuild you don't have to pay as much.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, really thanks for all the input. I guess i need to beef up the clutch, then begin power mods. its so hard to do though, the need for power kind of consumes you if your not careful! I have heard good things about South Bend. Any other good clutches out there. How hard is it to replace the clutch in these trucks?

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
A clutch is pretty easy if you have access to a shop with a lift and the right tools.

Its still pretty easy on you back just not as fun.

·
812 Posts
a friend and i did a cluch for him with no lift, just creepers, trans jack and basic crapsman tools and a torque wrench

1 - 20 of 21 Posts