The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Diesel Maniac
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1993 f350 7.3 IDI n/turbo XLT
Just started this. I have to squirt a little diesel in intake to get started.
Anyone have any ideas?
Once it warms up, starts every time.
I even plug heater in overnight still
Won't start unless I prime it

:bdh

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
1993 f350 7.3 IDI n/turbo XLT
Just started this. I have to squirt a little diesel in intake to get started.
Anyone have any ideas?
Once it warms up, starts every time.
I even plug heater in overnight still
Won't start unless I prime it

:bdh
Injection pump is getting weak in fuel delivery.

Also check glow plug operation. That engine does not like to start easily without their assist.

·
Diesel Maniac
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither one of those. Glows r new and it starts and runs just fine after initial start up.
Just wondering if it is the fuel delivery pump on right side.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
What's your view on an ele fuel pump before diaphragm pump?
If the lift pump is bad it wouldn't matter hot or cold. The engine would not be supplied fuel from the tank.

An electric pump is not a bad idea but remove the mechanical one and install a blanking plate. If the electric pump is installed before the mechanical pump, it can burst the diaphragm in the mechanical pump and fill the engine crankcase with fuel.

You have a Stanadyne pump on that engine with a plastic/nylon roller and distributor ring. These wear and fracture leaking internally. They then do not run proper injection pressure to the injection nozzles.

The symptoms you describe are common as the pump ceases to function correctly. Once rebuilt most of these parts will be stainless steel and outlast the life of the truck.

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
I just removed the pump and took it to an injector shop. They can run a simple test and tell you if it needs rebuilding. I traded mine in on a rebuilt pump.

·
Diesel Maniac
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish we had a shop like that around here. It's trial and error. U would think it wouldn't run at all if the top pump was bad. One squirt in intake and she runs great and starts right up.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
I wish we had a shop like that around here. It's trial and error. U would think it wouldn't run at all if the top pump was bad. One squirt in intake and she runs great and starts right up.
Dave mentioned it best. Pull it from the engine and send it in for evaluation. The last rebuild I had was about $650.00 and it's a quick turnaround with usually an exchange unit available.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
I see Trinity is out in the sticks. Looks like a drive might be in order.
Sheid Diesel in Danville, IL, Area Diesel in Carlinville, IL, DCP Diesel in Memphis, Thompson Diesel in OKC are all reliable shops to use. Most any fuel shop can address Roosa-Master type distributor pumps and offer quick turnaround. That pump only weighs about 10 pounds fully dressed so inexpensive to ship.

·
Diesel Maniac
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nope, all it needed was a fuel filter. I learned a long time ago to go with my instincts.
It just wouldn't draw on initial start up. Starts right up and puuuurs like a kitten.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
I incorrectly made the assumption you had "followed your instincts" and ruled out the simple things prior to soliciting active help with a problem?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts