The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what happens if the two are mixed in a 6.0? We put some of each in a glass jar and so far they mix quite well - no indication of incompatibility.

I realize that mixing in a jar is not the same as running in a 6.0. Just wondering what really happens if they are mixed.

:confused:

·
3,051 Posts
The Rotella is a silicate free coolant, and the Gold is a low silicate coolant. Mixing the two cancels each others effective properties. Heres a complete chart of what is what in most all coolants. The "x" means yes it has it in the chart. Best to flush as best possible then make the switch to a cat-ec1 coolant if thats your plan. For myself, I have done my flushes every 40k or so and refill with Gold HOAT G-05 and distilled water at a 50/50 ratio, my oil cooler and deltas are still good.

http://www.eetcorp.com/antifreeze/Coolants_matrix.pdf

Harry

Reactions: Weld engineer

·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's what A Shell Staff Chemist said:

"Should not cause a problem if some of the Ford Premium Gold remains when you add Rotella Ultra ELC.
I would not make a broad statement that everything is compatable.

From a legal standpoint "should not" is about as positive as our lawyers will allow us to be. Truthfully, though, there are some intangibles we have to take into consideration.

When a question like this gets asked, the biggest potential problem we need to consider is the condition of the fluid that is already in the vehicle. Brand new fluids of both types will almost certainly be compatible (even then, we have to consider the extremely small possibility that one fluid or the other was not properly formulated). Old fluid of one type, with depletion or additives or introduction of contaminants, becomes a somewhat more uncertain matter when mixed with another fluid. And when we talk about coolants, there is also the potential issue of water quality with which the coolants get mixed."

Reactions: harry6.0

·
Boost Junkie
122 Posts
Not sure if this pertains much to the question at hand but I still use the Motorcraft Gold coolant and flush once per year. I believe the flushing and adding fresh coolant and distilled water keeps the silicate additives from becoming a problem over time. Most bash the stock gold coolant because they neglect to maintain thier coolant sytem as most want a coolant they can put in and forget about for years. Im assuming everyone currectly subscribing already knows this and it doesnt add onto the original question of mixing. Im sure Im a bit out of context in this particular thread, but I know it will be hit on in research....

Can I ask, for those doing future research, why they do not want to use the Ford Gold coolant? Is it because of the silicate additive? Do you disagree with these additives? Why? Do you know what the additives do? Do you understand flushing, the proper procedure, to add distilled water, and to flush within the proper recommended interval?

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
I completely agree with your approach with Motorcraft Gold. I flush and renew my coolant with Gold and distilled water. I don't do mine every year but more like every two years. I have a coolant filter also.

·
3,051 Posts
Maintenance is the key.

Silicate drop out from being boiled in the egr cooler is what seems to be the issue to contributing to oil cooler clogging. But if egr is inactive, then that issue can be put aside.

Mercedes Benz was the first to use Hoat gold coolant back in the 80's, way before Ford. Hybrid-Organic-Acid-Technology coolant was designed for compatibility with high mineral content water like the type found in Europe. America's water is considered low mineral content water in comparison. The coolant was designed to keep minerals in suspension and be compatible with most conventional ethylene-glycol coolants. So if your on the road and can only find green coolant, you can mix with no issues. It is also a coolant that can be used in gas or diesel engines and also provides very good cavitation protection.

Heres some Ford info on the coolants of past and present...
http://www.powerstrokediesel.com/docs/Coolant_Information.pdf

Harry

·
1,212 Posts
From my research (ASTM material is hard to research without paying), the ASTM 3306 standard for the Gold coolant states 250 ppm silicon by weight (max) for a low silicate formula. That is at most 0.01 pounds of silicon (or 0.032 lbs of silicates SiO4) in 4 gallons of concentrated Gold Coolant. That is 1/2 of an ounce of silicates.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts