The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive kept a really close eye on my mileage day to day. For the last several years Ive been running a dedicated route, same loads, same weights, same miles every day. I filled up every day at the same truck stop. If I used 5 gallons more than usual I was checking into why. Sometimes it was weather induced like wind. More often it was filters. I use gauges religiously to monitor condition. If the pressure drops, so does the mileage and the filter gets changed, in the middle of the round if needed.

Then I noticed my mileage falling for no apparent reason. This went on for about 2 weeks and then the signs went up for USLD. I asked how long they had been putting it in the tanks. "Oh about two weeks" he says. I say, "No wonder my mileage has been dropping." He says "Thats what everyone has been saying too."

I had been doing pretty well. 89 Ford LTA, 3406B ATA pulling a 53 ft van getting about 6.85 day to day.(short hauls) I think the quarterly showed about 6.75. USLD cost me around 20% in mileage and more in the wallet. Ive tried the Howes and Lucas stuff but noticed no difference. I have blended vegetable oil in the fuel and the truck really liked 12.5% with LSD but ULSD is a whole different animal and the veggie oil makes no difference. Is there something that can be added to fuel to restore the BTUs lost in ULSD?

Business has change some over the last year. I am now pulling a hopper at 80,000. I would think that the mileage would be some better not pushing the wind like the van but its not. Iowa now lets us add axles and an increase in weight on the state roads, so I will be adding an axle and 8000 lbs. I had a very long phone call with Tony on Friday and will soon be heading his way to make some mechanical changes.

·
2,555 Posts
Look for something with a Cetane booster in it.

·
410 Posts
The Power Service product "Diesel Kleen" claims to improve cetane up to 6 points. I have used it for 4 years, I know the mileage in my truck pays for the price of the Diesel Kleen. I buy it in 2 Gal. Concentrate (treats 3K gals.) and treat my 1000 gal. tank at home.

·
3,533 Posts
You want to look up USLF and see what is said it has been mandated as the only fuel available, legally for a long time, Lots of stations never put out the decal, additives do not work. Most fuels you buy have bio in them as a cetane booster already adding extra booster speeds up combustion advancing timing, and lowering your wallet pressure.

Reactions: LOG HAULER

·
1,224 Posts
Don't know if it would help in you, but I use Stanadyne Performance
formula http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=74 in my 07 dodge cummins, every several tanks just mainly for cleaning effects. It was recomended by a local industrial injector pump repair shop. Any time they rebuild injectors or pumps they provide a bottle for the 1st tank to provide extra lube for break in.

Stanadyne claims it improves mileage. I can't verify as my driving is quite variable but from what I can tell I think it improves my mileage some. I do know the engine seems peppier when I use it. Might be worth a try:shrugs If you pickup some mileage you probably save $ even with the extra cost.

·
3,533 Posts
I have been doing this for all my life and never seen anything magic in a bottle.
I do have a great liking for "JACK" and I do add that to my own system. Never do I add anything to my fuel system, I do add ATF to my oil a while before I change it. I really like Nalcool/Dex-cool products from personal experiance. Buy clean fuel and keep it clean, change your oil and fuel filters.
Works for me!

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
Don't know if it would help in you, but I use Stanadyne Performance
formula http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=74 in my 07 dodge cummins, every several tanks just mainly for cleaning effects. It was recomended by a local industrial injector pump repair shop. Any time they rebuild injectors or pumps they provide a bottle for the 1st tank to provide extra lube for break in.

Stanadyne claims it improves mileage. I can't verify as my driving is quite variable but from what I can tell I think it improves my mileage some. I do know the engine seems peppier when I use it. Might be worth a try:shrugs If you pickup some mileage you probably save $ even with the extra cost.
I have been doing this for all my life and never seen anything magic in a bottle.
I do have a great liking for "JACK" and I do add that to my own system. Never do I add anything to my fuel system, I do add ATF to my oil a while before I change it. I really like Nalcool/Dex-cool products from personal experiance. Buy clean fuel and keep it clean, change your oil and fuel filters.
Works for me!
Biodiesel has a much lower BTU, and pour point is rediculous, tho it's great for injector lube...

And yes some things are bottle magic. Stanadyne "performance and total", as stated, works for sure. Tested to proof. So does XDP Concentrate. That's what I switched to, for 15% of the cost and 2.2MPG constant.

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
And just where can I find these bottles of magic?
Pump service centers and auto parts for Standyne. XDP is only from Extreme Diesel Performance. It's their own blend, in a little Stay-bil dispensor bottle. Great in diesel pick-ups. ;)

·
4,827 Posts
I lost .3mpg with the ULSD, over the LSD. Every time I could still get my hands on it, I ALWAYS got my mileage back.

Need to fix my fuel temp sensor mod (broke the wire off the resistor), and I pick up .3 to .4mpg with it (plus the power). :D

I like getting fuel at the QT truckstop in Des Moines, on 35/80. Always get better mileage with it. :) Big truck or the Rams. :D

·
The other guy
3,936 Posts
I lost .3mpg with the ULSD, over the LSD. Every time I could still get my hands on it, I ALWAYS got my mileage back.

Need to fix my fuel temp sensor mod (broke the wire off the resistor), and I pick up .3 to .4mpg with it (plus the power). :D

I like getting fuel at the QT truckstop in Des Moines, on 35/80. Always get better mileage with it. :) Big truck or the Rams. :D
I always get my fuel there too. No idea why it's better. they say it is in commercials. And it is. No explanation. Comes off the Williams pipe line like everything else up here. :wtf

·
4,827 Posts
I use gauges religiously to monitor condition. If the pressure drops, so does the mileage and the filter gets changed, in the middle of the round if needed.
Never seen a mileage change, per se. But, the gauges sure help on preventing early filter changes. The new transfer pump helped the most. Old one was really tired, and took almost nothing to lose power when the filters started getting the least bit dirty.

I had been doing pretty well. 89 Ford LTA, 3406B ATA pulling a 53 ft van getting about 6.85 day to day.(short hauls) I think the quarterly showed about 6.75.
Very nice. :) I was getting 5.2-5.8 with the bullrack before the fuel change. Now, 5.5 is about all I can muster on a good day with it.

Business has change some over the last year. I am now pulling a hopper at 80,000. I would think that the mileage would be some better not pushing the wind like the van but its not.
Seems odd. As mentioned above, I'm in the low 5s now with the bullrack, but get 7.2-7.5mpg with the hopper. Running a 525hp C15 in the W900L, with an Areocab Aredyne sleeper to boot.

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Theres one other thing that no one has been able to explain to me. My mileage changes with the outside temps. The hotter it is the better the mpgs. It really starts to fall off once it gets to around 65 or so. I dont have AC so theres no idling in the summer and Im sure not running the engine to stay warm in the mid sixties. Whats up with that?

·
4,827 Posts
Colder air is more dense, so it pulls harder (not to mention the blended fuel this time of year). Other thing is, the ATTAC. Warmer ambient air causes higher engine air intake temps. Engine probably has a temp it REALLY runs good at. :)

·
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They dont blend fuel in the summer. Ill get better mileage at 95F than I do at 80F. When the temps drop to the 50s and 60s the mpgs fall off faster.

In racing we try everything we can to get the fuel and air temps lower to make more power. This truck is just the opposite.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts