The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fxing to head to the Motherland from Atlanta with a side stop at Billygoats, while looking at the route of taking Hwy 82 across Miss it dawned on me that this would be a perfect time to attempt the Holy Grail!

I beleive in my heart that with luck, proper conditions, and a picture of the King of Saudi Arabia hanging from my visor that I could get my head right to make the attempt.

I figure avg speed would have to be about 47~48 mph which would mean climbing hills at maybe as low as govenor speed of 33mph and freewheeling down at blistering speeds of maybe 60 mph.

After watching David Blaine float around in a stupid sphere I decided I should sacrifice myself for something that REALLY MATTERS!!!

I beleive I will make the attempt to smash 30 MPG and bring the Saudis to there knees. What say yall attempt? or no?

·
1,055 Posts
:Thumbup: Go for it John, if it can be done you would be the one to do it:HappyMugs . Good luck:popcorn:

·
3,514 Posts
Dooo it. That would be cool, really cool. Thats all I can say, is go for it.
Sean

·
1,055 Posts
It's not 30, but today I filled up and I got 20.39:Thumbup: :HappyMugs

·
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats good mileage , I am on 300 miles and still above 1/2 a tank I figure I am a couple MPG over 20 running around atlanta

Billy has agreed to meet me and to monitor the # of Gallons, He admit he is unable to do the calcs as the last math he had was before 3rd grade when he dropped out of school.

He has threatened me that if I attemt to streak around that Greenville Fuel station in a celebratory streak he will shoot me dead! So I will have to keep my wits about me when we do the mileage calc!

·
Super Moderator
3,188 Posts
It probably wouldnt hit 30 with the camperLOL :poke:

·
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe Billy will chime in with his side of the story. I am tired avg speed to greenville was 44 mph and then I tried to make it to La, and finally pulled off the interstate at 4:00 and got a couple hours shut eye.

I expected there to be a big crowd like at David Blaines sphere thing, but in the end it was just me and billy. 388 miles and avg speed was 44 man that was nuts cant say I would do it again!

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
He did it folks, he hit 30MPG on the head, I had a pistol loaded and waiting for him if he tried to kiss me LOL LOL LOL

·
1,055 Posts
:Thumbup: nice job John, you did it:HappyMugs

·
3,514 Posts
Hats off to you sir. That is impressive. I think I would get bored of going 44mph somewhere around mile 10, then throw it on stage 5 for a spell. I just don't have the patience.
Sean

·
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys it was something but tht divided hwy to greenville out of Tuscaloosa is awesome much less traffic than the interstate plus people were naturally going slower. I knew I had a good run when it took 200 miles to come off the full mark and at 300 miles I was dead on 7/8ths mark, at 388 miles I was sitting dead on 3/4 tank and the old girl took 12.84.

I caught some intense squal lines out of Birmingham and man I needed them to get the speeders off me, traffic was thick and i was ruining some peoples day, that heavy ran helped me and the wind picked up and I got some help with a tail wind, I just cant beleive Billy wore a loaded pistol up to the Fuel Station. I'm glad its over and i'm glad billy saw me fill the tank and saw it was way full and the numbers.

I cant say i will do it again anytime soon, I came home blistering at over 70 mph average but if you can get your mind right and get 50 miles under you man it is just gravy driving for Mileage

·
Super Enthusiast
187 Posts
SERIOUSLY! YOU GOT 30MPG WITH THAT HOUSE ATTACHED? DANG! NICE JOB!!

A few minutes stuck behind someone doing 45 in a 55 I'm ready for some hand to hand combat. Good thing Billy was packing heat!:HappyMugs :HappyMugs

Tony

·
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bgtony1 said:
SERIOUSLY! YOU GOT 30MPG WITH THAT HOUSE ATTACHED? DANG! NICE JOB!!

A few minutes stuck behind someone doing 45 in a 55 I'm ready for some hand to hand combat. Good thing Billy was packing heat!:HappyMugs :HappyMugs

Tony
No Tony that was empty, My record with Camper on is 21.3 My record empty is now 30.2 MPG!!! I'll tell ya what though ifen I get on that higway to Billy's again with the Camper on I'd bet I could scare the ell out of 23 MPG going avg 44 mph with my throttle cable set low and purring on da hills.

·
706 Posts
my 24V auto w4.10 never got over 17mpg,unless i slow down to 60 or so ,and who wants to do that! Dads 01 2wd 3500 3.55 auto gets 17-21 easily.Engine speed makes a big difference it seems.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
John DiMartino said:
my 24V auto w4.10 never got over 17mpg,unless i slow down to 60 or so ,and who wants to do that! Dads 01 2wd 3500 3.55 auto gets 17-21 easily.Engine speed makes a big difference it seems.
Big time
:sofa

·
376 Posts
i am in the 27 to 28 mpg range on this tank of fuel in my little truck. i did have a couple runs up to 80 miles per but i was still easy on it. most of the miles are in the 65mph range. i want to get mine air bagged and lower it some more. and i have been thinking real serious about the cable to see how well mine may really do on a good highway run.

o yea, congrats on you 30 mpg run.

·
Registered
325 Posts
that is great butt.....

tooling arount at 48 mph how are you not getting 1. ran over in atlanta or 2. shot in atlanta

i run my truck through there at 80-90 (15mpg LOL ) and still got people chewing on the back bumper and giving me nasty looks

·
4,158 Posts
WOW 30 mpg thats a great, you should make an anouncement in the Parking Lot, telling everybody about it great job!! :Thumbup:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Has anyone tinkered around with removing there fan and installing a electric one for better MPG??????????????????????????

1 - 20 of 38 Posts