The Diesel Garage banner

MPG Towing.

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  WasGas 
#1 ·
Im going to need a truck soon and am up in the air between a diesel and a gasser. My payload I have estimated will be around 5-8k in either a 16-20 foot enclosed trailer. This weight includes the trailer weight. I have talked with several people about towing and most say a 1/2 will do just fine. The 09 f150 has a towing capacity of 11300 for example.

The catch is I will be using this truck to tow this trailer 5 days a week in traffic. It will double as a work truck and a personal vehicle so it is going to see a lot of driving and towing.

I have calculated the breakeven point on the added cost of diesel option and it will take over 14 years accoring to my calculations. Now they could be off due to the estimated MPG I used to calculate but regardless it will take many years to see the payoff.

Now I do not know how long I will have this vehicle but I would need to get at least 100k at minimum out of it. More like 150k to 200 possibly. Even so I just am worried about the ability of a gasser or 1/2 ton being able to do this day in and day out 5 days a week which is why I am considering a diesel.

Also what kind of MPG are you guys seeing loaded and unloaded towing. This is another big thing for me.

I am open to suggestions, opinions,..... Fill me in guys. Thanks in advance

See less See more
#3 ·
With our Cougar 310 SRX toyhauler and the 6.7 im getting 12-13 hand clac. I was really surprised. with my 18ft depending on load 14ish..(flatbed trailer)

#4 ·
I see 18 M/T and around 13 pulling my 33' trailer. The mpg isn't the only thing you should look at, there is also the control factor of a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 or 1 ton. Also there is no comparison from gas to diesel in power and potential upgrades in the future if you choose. The extra money is worth every penny in the diesel.

#6 ·
you will get metter mileage our of a pre emissions diesel...i was very surprised that i could get 12 maybe 13 mpg out of my 6.7 towing our 5thwheel this however depends on terrian and other factor by for hwy pulling i am not going to complain...

#8 ·
I have an 07 6.0l CC SB 2x4 for sale if your around the Ca area. It has about 21K and in excellent condition.

#9 ·
ive seen alot of 24v cummins get high teens pulling 5'ers but im not sure what are done to them or the size just heard from my dads buddys that have them

#10 ·
The 5.9 or the 6.0 both are good choices. Both have good and bad points but will do what you want. Honestly if I had it to do over I would have got the 5.9CR. The 6.7 is a great truck but is more of a pain with the emission stuff. good luck.

#11 ·
your gasser will not make it 100k towing that much all the time. The tranny will be a gonner and I doubt the gasser will see any better than 9-10. Also depends on the trailer on how wide it is, and if it is pure flat like mine is. it's a 16' 102" wide 7' tall and flat with a slight roll at the time so it pushes air like a mofo. In my 97 1/2 ton best mpg with a tail wind 10, usually got 8.5-9. Pretty much any diesel you get will go 125k with no issues in the drivetrain. Same trailer with my diesel I get 12-14, when towing the gooseneck horse trailer I get 15 but the aero is much better with it. it's a 3 horse slant box weight 6300 add all her gear and mattress 2 mares and a foal and it's a good load and still 15mpg. I am partial to the 5.9 over the 6.0(head gaskets are killers) but either one will out live the f150 with this use and abuse. best way to pick up mpg's too is synthetics. I don't know about the newer dodges but the 2nd gens didn't run synthetic gear oil like chevy and ford do and i picked up almost 1mpg by doing the front and rear diff. another 3/4 in the motor and I run AMSOIL so it's the only one I can say for sure that worked. I have not used any other brand.

#12 ·
comparable power between a diesel & gasser in a ford would mean youre looking
at the V10...those guys get 9mpg 'round town EMPTY.

interstate....towing 7k on my flat bed car trailer nets me anywhere between 12mpg
and 15mpg (depending on my FOOT)....the long bed (39g tank) nets me between
500 & 650 miles to the tank...if im empty i can see up to 700-750 per tank (again
depending on my FOOT).

expect YOUR mileage to be LESS w/ a big enclosed BRICK sticking up in the wind
behind your truck.

if you go gasser expect your mpg to be DISMAL !

#13 ·
comparable power between a diesel & gasser in a ford would mean youre looking
at the V10...those guys get 9mpg 'round town EMPTY.

I would look into a V10 when you consider the low cost to purchase the truck, lower fuel costs, and Huge savings on maintenace a V10 might look very good. Many of the landscape people around me have seen the light and dumped the diesels to get fleets of V10s. My frind has 3 one has 197k miles, 169k miles and 50k miles. One needed all coils replaced cost was $190.00 and thats about it. Oil changes are 19 bucks and he never replaced a fuel filter. You can let them idle for hours without worring about EGR clogging up.

#16 ·
The diesel. Resale will be higher. with some exceptions, the diesel will out last the gasser when both are worked hard, and the diesel has torque, torque and more torque over the diesel.

#17 ·
Too much drag for a gasser.

Don't do gas pulling a trailer like that. Your highway mileage will be 6-8mpg only the enclosed trailers have a lot of wind resistance and it similates pulling an additional 1-2,000 pounds depending on trailer design. I had a 5.4L expedition that would not go over 65 pulling a 5k enclosed trailer that was 7' tall and 7' wide. Most enclosed trailers are 8' wide adding to the wind resistance even more.

The gasser may pull it but in the long run it will cost more and you wil never be happy with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.