The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I having problems with my C-12 engine. I just replaced the fuel transfer pump, because it failed,with a new one which apparently is in a good working condition and I cant get the engine to start. But whenever I use a catalyst like gasoline in the air dryer, it starts and runs well. I cant seem to get it started again if I shutdown the engine. Pls when can I do? The electrician has done a once over and he says electrically there is nothing wrong. But I just cant get it to start

·
Wanna be door swinger
422 Posts
You have a mass of air in the lines that needs bleed. Start by pulling both fuel filters and make sure they are filled. After reinstalling the filters there should be a "bleed screw/bolt" on the side of the secondary fuel filter housing. Crack that bolt and start pumping the hand primar. This gonna take a while so be prepared for quite a few pumps.

Also use a high quality starting fluid or even WD40 (or similar) to aid in starting a diesel. Gasoline is a bad idea from the get go. For future refrence CAT motors hate to get air in the fuel and become very testy as I'm sure you already realize.

·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Done that already and the primer responded very nicely with huge sprays of diesel at every stroke.

·
4,827 Posts
On our Deere 9320 tractor with a Deere 12.5L engine, there a procedure listed in the operator manual that needs to be done when you get air at the injectors. Might work here as well, assuming you don't have braided fuel lines on the return. Need a second person to assist.

Pinch off the fuel return line and push the primer til it gets rock hard. Attempt to start the engine. If/when it starts, immediately remove the Vise-Grips/clamp. You are done. I spent almost 2hrs the first time that happened, before I found that info in the manual.

If you prefill the engine mounted fuel filter, make sure that you don't allow fuel to go down the big hole in the center. That is the clean side.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts