The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dad & Mom were up Moose hunting today in the back country of Wyoming. First of all, they got a huge bull moose (my mom shot it with her trusty 270 Seiko with 158 grain bullets) It took her 26 years to get the permit and she was stoked. (Not to be confused with Stroked)

Anyway, my dad was trying to get the truck to a road closer to the moose, which was still about 300 hard timber yards from this road. He was going up the hill and the check engine light came on and it started running like it was on 4 cylinders. Then it died, he stopped, and then got it running again, and ran smooth for like 200 ft and died again. Long story short- my bro pulled him all the way back to camp with his '06 6.0. It still will not start.

Here is what they have tried:

1) Changed fuel filter, and drained water.
2) Changed camshaft position sensor.
3) Checked oil level (perfect).
4) Glow plugs and relay working fine.
5) Cranks over just like normal.
6) Batteries are brand new.
7) Airfilter, and belt are brand new.

Still no start......

One guy suggested that the main plug that goes to the injectors under the valve cover has come unplugged because they get brittle from the heat over time and then that bank of injectors don't work because they aren't plugged in. Some guys say they plug them back in and zip tie it tight so they don't come undone again....

What do you guys think? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

The truck is about 150 miles from home in the mountains right now, and my bro and dad are going back tomorrow to get it. They would love to be driving this beast back.

It has 100,000 miles.

1995 F-250 7.3L 4x4 Reg Cab XLT Automatic

·
2,509 Posts
do you have any way of reading the codes?
a few things to check

check the fuel pressure there is a scrader valve on the fuel pressure regulate on the driver side of the fuel bowl you can unscrew it and use a guage with a 1/8 pipe fitting

On top of the high pressure resivore there is a plug you can pull out and see if it is full of oil. if not crank it over and see if it fills up.

Do they have any fuel or oil leaks?

·
2,509 Posts

·
Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no leaks

·
158 Posts
i bet that the cps cam postion sensor went out... just my guess from what your saying you have all the symptoms for a cps going out???

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
HeffPsDiesel said:
i bet that the cps cam postion sensor went out... just my guess from what your saying you have all the symptoms for a cps going out???
in his post he said that he already checked that.

camshaft position sensor= cps

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77
940 Posts
Sounds fuel related. Have they been able to check the pressure?

I would also look at the UVC harnesses and check all of the fuses.

Just an idea....unplug the fuel bowl heater and give her shot.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #77
940 Posts
Oh yea, I would like to see a pic of Moms moose!

·
The Irishman
68 Posts
Hey check your Injector Control Module. Its located on the drivers side fender. Three bolts hold it on, and water tends to get trapped in the unit. Mine got water in it and drove for two weeks before it died... Only downside is, if it is that part, ford wants like $600 for it, but i hear theres somewhere that rebuilds them for cheap.
Good luck
Billy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts