The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've wrote this in many threads, but I can't ever find the write ups, so here's a new thread.

Here's my old truck right after I got it. Stock F-350 short bed. 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers I had the dealer put them on before signing paperwork. Sat very azz high.

Here are the 2.5" spacers (pucks) I got from AutoSpring. They were $89 shipped to my door 2 years ago, now they're $79 shipped to your door. The 2.5" pucks level a F-350 perfectly.

I did the install with 2 bottle jacks, two jackstands, hand tools, and a cheater bar if I needed it. It took 2 hours first time. On my new truck, I had floor jacks, not bottle, and it took me 1 hour.

1) Park on level ground.
2) Loosen front lug nuts.
3) Jack up front axle both sides at the same time (2 jacks) as high as your jacks will allow.
4) Place jackstands under frame as high as they'll go, and as far forward on the frame as you can (right behind control arm brackets)
5) Take off front tires
6) Disconnect brake line bracket from axle, allowing brake lines to extend further
7) Disconnect the sway bar on both sides
8) Disconnect both shocks at the axle end
9) Disconnect trac bar on the passenger side
10) Lower both jacks at the same time, slowly, allowing the axle to drop. Lower the axle as far as you can.
11) Springs should be free. Remove springs (they just pop out)

Truck will look like this:

12) Springs will have rubber bushing on top. Install pucks on TOP of bushing.
13) Re-install springs. May have to use a hammer.

Truck will look like this:

14) Start jacking up front axle until barely any weight is on jackstands
15) Connect brake line bracket to axle
16) Connect the sway bar on both sides
17) Connect both shocks at the axle end
18) Connect trac bar on the passenger side

BAM! Leveled. :thumbsup

Here are some pics from my leveling kit install on my new 2010:

Stockers :throwup

37's

·
497 Posts
Nice write up! I want to level mine but last time I did that with my F-250 I had to put the 4" blocks in the back instead of the 2" ones. Sat way high in the front end vs the back

·
2008 F350 Murdered out
244 Posts
Suspensionmax.com they sell only for 60 bucks and that's what I have on my f350. 2.5" for f350 and 2" for f250

·
773 Posts
Nice write up! I want to level mine but last time I did that with my F-250 I had to put the 4" blocks in the back instead of the 2" ones. Sat way high in the front end vs the back
Willie has a f-350 that comes with 4" blocks, that's why 2.5" leveling kits end up leveling it out.

·
497 Posts
Willie has a f-350 that comes with 4" blocks, that's why 2.5" leveling kits end up leveling it out.
True, so If I was to get the 2" leveling kit, it wouldnt sit higher in the front vs the rear? sorry for the dumb question. I got burned with my last leveling kit though. I was dealing with leaf springs vs the coils though

·
1,415 Posts
Are you a 250 or 350? If your a 250 any leveling kit will put the nose higher. you only want to install a leveling kit in a 350. So yes if you have a 350 you will sit close to level with a 2 inch, probably still alittle nose down.

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got mine from AutoSpring. Website is www.autospringcorp.com They're really simple, nearly anyone could make them on their own if you had pipe and some plate laying around.

They are correct, any leveling kit on a F-250 would require lifting the rear as well. Stock F-250's have shorter blocks in the rear, F-350's have 4" blocks in the rear, so 2.5" pucks added to the front level the F-350's great. I just measured mine, the azz sits 1/2" higher on the driver side, 1/4" higher on the passenger side. Probably not exactly level ground it's sitting on.

·
Breaks stuff
1,941 Posts
Or maybe your head is just crooked.

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wouldn't surprise me. LOL

·
245 Posts
so an F250 could use the F350 blocks and these 2.5" pucks? how does it ride? what about the trac bar relocation? would this be the same as running a readylift 2.5" and 37x13.50x20s?

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, use the F-350 rear blocks and u-bolts, 2.5" pucks on the front, and it'll sit level. It will ride like stock (same springs, just more distance from axle to upper spring perch). The trac bar relocation is optional, if you don't add length to the trac bar, or drop it down lower to decrease the angle, your front axle will shift to the driver side slightly, but it's not very noticeable at all. Looking at their website, the Readylift leveling kit is the same thing, with poly bushings and shock extensions. You don't need shock extensions, and I doubt the poly bushings would help anything. The pucks don't squeak without the bushings.

·
245 Posts
think its better to go with F350 blocks and then get a RCD 2.5" front suspension springs/shocks from truck toyz and do that instead of pucks?

or the same to go with just pucks and the blocks

·
773 Posts
think its better to go with F350 blocks and then get a RCD 2.5" front suspension springs/shocks from truck toyz and do that instead of pucks?

or the same to go with just pucks and the blocks
The RCD kit comes with 4" blocks. I'm not sure if RCD changes spring rates or anything. If they don't I don't see that you will get much benefit changing out to thier spring, however I'm sure the bilstiens will improve your ride.

·
245 Posts
yeah

what im saying is if i find me a set of F350 blocks and just buy the RCD spring/shock combo for liek $650 wouldnt it be better to have taller springs as opposed to pucks? figure those bilsteins are like $109 each so 436$ so only $100 each spring and pucks are $89-129

·
773 Posts
I see what you mean. I would go with a setup that upgrades the shocks as well.

·
Auto's are for pansies
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah

what im saying is if i find me a set of F350 blocks and just buy the RCD spring/shock combo for liek $650 wouldnt it be better to have taller springs as opposed to pucks? figure those bilsteins are like $109 each so 436$ so only $100 each spring and pucks are $89-129
New springs will ride different than stock, I can almost guarantee. If it's better or worse, well, that depends on the manufacturer of the springs (I don't know about RCD, good or bad, I don't know). The pucks will maintain factory ride quality, guaranteed. Bilstein shocks will definitely improve ride quality, no matter what springs.

Me? I'd buy pucks ($89 total), and Bilsteins (according to your quote, $436 for all 4 corners), and call it a day. That'd save you $125 which you could buy five 30 packs of Coors Light for you and a buddy to install everything. :happymugs

·
245 Posts
Haha sounds good to me!

·
497 Posts
I diddnt even notice that I dont have F-250 on my sig lol oops! yeah, I replaced my rear blocks on my 03 with F-350 blocks and got the leveling kit from procomp along with 4 shocks.

·
Mafia member #6
1,714 Posts
Five 30 packs? Sounds like my buddies... :haha Im going to just install the shock extensions and call it a day too for alittle while then I may throw some real Rancho 9000x's on the front..

1 - 20 of 36 Posts