The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this 1959 B61 in fall of 2001.

I had been watching it sit around many years at the local towing company. I finally stopped and asked about it and struck a deal. Along with the truck I got a big truck load of spare parts he had from the fleet of B models they had over the years. This was the last one he still had/used to haul trailers back from wrecks.

It's still all original drivetrain: non turbo 673ci Mack, triplex(15 spd) two stick tranny, 4.62 gears out back. I put new radial tires on it, king pins, slacks and cans, new hoses/plumbing, etc.

Here it is in 2002, my first road trip(120 miles away):

I've added all the shiny stuff compared to how I bought it(above).
Couple years ago:

I use it pretty exclusively to haul my race car trailer. I've been from Indy to Syracuse, Ny to Bowling Green, Ky without fail. She's a pretty good running ol truck. Not the fastest, but it gets there. Top speed about 62 mph(with trailer).

Right now I'm working on converting the speedo to electronic. I made a reluctor wheel to replace the gear in the back of the tranny and machined the housing for pickup. Lucky I work at a machine shop :

I am also working on extending the frame about 4ft and putting a Freightshaker air ride under it. I have a 42" bunk(free) that I'll be putting on the back too. That will give the g/f something to sleep in while traveling to races. Once the weather breaks around here, I will/should be starting on it.

My friend wants me to lease on to his company

I also used to take it to the local diesel drags when it was in town. I wasn't fast, but I can cut a good light and that put the fear of god into the rest of the drivers:

It's a slow work in process. I stripped/painted the fenders about 7 yrs ago and someday I'd love to finish it. I have a pair of NOS door shells(still in bare metal) and lots of trinkets but I use it too much to tear that far into it.

If anyone has seen the Mack two stick driving vids on Youtube? Ya, that was me. I made them back before Youtube was around and apparently people that saw them musta saved them and posted them. I never claimed to be an expert, but I have fun with it. :toytruck

Jim's Mack car hauler will be sick compared to my rusty hulk. I drool everytime I see more pics. I met Jim last summer at the Gasser Reunion. I can't wait to see the truck in person!

·
2,710 Posts
Old Mack ! very cool, Gotta love them B16's . . .

mine has the END+T-711 which i thought was a hot rod type thing, but i was informed it was a factory backed up grade and perfectly legit to leave it . . .

Mike

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, there was turbo models of the 673. The 711 I think only came n/a but some guys bolted a turbo to them. There was issues with headbolts and headgaskets, but don't know the whole story.

I've contemplated putting a turbo on mine, but it runs really well and I don't want to take the chance of burning it up(with the lack of oil cooled pistons). I keep my ears open for a 237 or such to upgrade to someday.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
very nice man :thumbsup

·
2,710 Posts
237 would ideal oh yea it would . . . lack of oil cooled piston's yup that was of a concern of mine, but it has an engine oil cooler on it the oil stay within spec for temp's engine run's great.

But yea the END-711 was an N/A engine, they had some issues with them it was solved by adding a turbo charger on it . . .

When i asked the local dealer "Madison Mack Sales" about they gave it a look over the guy laughed and told me how he was the one who installed it on that truck 15 years before i bought it :thumbsup

I thought that was cool . . .

It's been running flawlessly so i don't wanna touch it, ya know the old "If it ain't broke don't fix it" deal ?

Truck rolls right along [email protected],00rpm in 15th gear or 5th high split, and it'll run 150K-Lb's down the road nicely the GVWR is 120,000lb's . . .

its the B61T heavy hauler . . .

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
Looking good Freight. I still need to get my B61 out of the yard! 8 years in the making!!! thinking about putting a camel back under it and a 285 maxidyne so it will do the new IL speed limits!!!!! you thinking about going to the 2011 ATHS in IN. That will be my next national show I will make in the RS.

·
2,824 Posts
Man, I would love to get up there and get to a race one time, I think it would be fun.

·
361 Posts
thats good lookin rig you got there man. mine is FAR from being that nice, we have to swap the cabs off of my truck becauce life down on the coast ate the cab away. its gonna be alot of work but in the end it will be worth it.

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I had to put a full new floor in mine, plus patch up the rear mount area of the cab(typical). I have pics of all that work, just need to find them and get them downloaded. It's solid as a rock now and don't really rattle at all going down the road.

Trent, ya, that is the next show I'll try to drive to. I wanted to fly to Ca. this year, but as typical it's on my first points race weekend :mad: (just like last year). Need to get SOMEONE to change their schedule....:whip

I got a 4.10 gear coming for mine so I'll be running a bit faster this summer(I hope). Just hope she has enough snot to pull it?

SmokinCat: the diesel drags haven't been at QuakerCity for a few years. Not sure why, but the turn out got pretty low(I think lack of advertising), but it sure was FUN!! The ol B usually went a few rounds. The first year I took the truck my first time trial I cut a .520 light(really good) and you should have seen the turmoil in the staging lanes :D. All these guys were pointing at me and talking :woot:. They came up and asked how I did that and I told them my race car was over in the pits and this wasn't my first square dance :D Seemed no one wanted to be around me come first round.

I did make one pass up at Norwalk a few years back during the "Blue Suede Cruise", but Timmy(runs staging lanes) told me I had to run down the shoulder of the track.

I've got some short video from Quaker, I need to get it posted to Youtube.

How about coming to one of our stick shift races? Check out www.UMTRNorth.com for scheduling. We run down south(Pacemakers, Marion, and Columbus), plus Milan Mi. among other places.

·
2,824 Posts
I have heard more than once they dont want the weight on the track, and also being worried about some one not getting stopped.

I would like to try it just once, I can take off in the high side in my GMC, I think it might do okay, and Im up for anything where I can try to tear something up.

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, a new project is in the works.......

AIR RIDE baby!!!!

Picked this up a couple weeks ago and started to clean it up:

Got the gears out and swapping out for a bit slower for my "lack of power"

Was 3.70, putting 4.10 to keep it in a more livable rpm range. Truck is currently 4.62 so I'm still picking up about 7 mph.

The wedges had never been out of the axles and MAN what Biotch that was:mad:. Lots of heat, sledgehammer and cuss'n :gaah

Got all the crap cut off, ready for sandblast:

This is a slow moving process, likely won't get put on til fall? I'll be slipping it over my existing frame as it's a perfect fit. Adding about 4ft to wheelbase and installing a 42" bunk too.

More to come........:popcorn

·
2,710 Posts
Its going to be doggy :read . . . Looks like a wonderful project :thumbsup . . .

Mike

·
114 Posts
Got a 237 sittin in the shed at the farm with a dropped sleeve, otherwise ran perfect... My dad bought a retired redi-mix truck for the motor and swapped in a 285 by himself...not bad for a 65 y/o guy.

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update:

Got the frame back from shotblast. Was picture perfect clean so I slopped some POR 15 on it and now gathering small parts getting ready for installation in late October.

(yes, I used the temporary hitch to drag it to shotblast)

Anyone ever had the rear bar off a Neway?? Mine is supposedly a one piece bushing and stories I get are "good luck" :bang. The bushings look a bit beat and would like to replace them but I might just drive the truck and see if it wanders or such. Might wait til next summer to PAY someone to do it. We'll see.

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Little update from the last couple weeks:

Cut/chop the old suspension off:

Ready for pickup (fellow in TN is taking it):

I picked up my latest donation to the project(42" Bentz bunk):

Today's project was slipping the new frame onto truck:

It's presently set at 206" wheelbase(just a bit more then the factory 150"):

picked up 4 spd Spicer box to add to the mix:

It will be a 5x3x4 now :thumbsup

Will be bolting frame up next week, then air lines, electrical and driveshaft/aux. box. I have spoke hubs coming to convert it over. Hope to be ready to drive it in a few weeks? The bunk will be a new project after truck is drivable.

·
2,555 Posts
Right on tripple sticks that should keep'em guessing , thanks for sharing your adventure:thumbsup

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
More work done.....

Got it all bolted together:

Made new brackets for air tanks:

Got box hanging for lining up mounts:

Got some air lines run, need to make a parts run for more fittings. I need to pick up my Dayton hubs to get my tires put on it. Got box mounted and driveshafts hooked up. I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully in a few weeks it should move :thumbsup

Then it's on to the bunk project.

·
5 Posts
Coming along nice

Looking good freight-train, been watching this on aths as-well, nice one!
i think your on our hcvc site in oz as-well mate

Cheers Adam

·
Penguin
251 Posts
very nice! I still need to see this rig in person someday! :)

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Justin. Man does time ever fly?? Geez, been a couple years now since we were going to get together.

Some updates:
Mid December it was mobile once again

Got it out so I could turn it around and set the bunk on the frame

Worked on getting bunk bolted down. Got the back mounts fitted after doing some mill work to clear bolts on frame

Once the rear mounts were set, I pulled the bunk back so I could work on cab area. This will also give me room to fit the front mounts. I got to cutting on the cab over the weekend.

NO going back now....:wtf

Once I get the 2" flange welded around the opening, I'll duplicate the opening on the bunk to match(it's a bit too big right now)

Just keep plugging along on it :gaah

1 - 20 of 64 Posts