The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93 idi that is hard to start and i know that either is hard on them but it is the only way to start it. i have put three sets of injector o rings in it and still leaks. I dont know but maybe a leak some were. can some one please help me out thanks.

·
69 Posts
First off you gotta stop the leak,if you didn't do it,i'd replace orings caps and lines,you can get complete kits online around 30.00-40.00 bucks,thats where i would start,good luck.

Reactions: idi diesel driver

·
69 Posts
I USE CLEAN DIESEL FUEL TO LUBE,DONT USE GREASE,JUST TAKE YOUR TIME,SHOULD BE NO PROBLEMS,GOOD LUCK.

·
93 Posts
The last one's I put in do sort of a double click on installation. Make sure the caps are seated all the way down. I used a silicon spray lube on the rings and spayed inside the caps prior to pressing them on. New fuel lines between them and make sure the fuel return line at the back of the engine to the tank is properly sealed.

·
10 Posts
another thing to try is emptying your fuel water separator, alot of times that is the culprit.

·
spanky63
28 Posts
Mine was hard to start too.

I had to replace the glow plugs. I found after replacing the glow plugs and putting a new starter in my truck it starts as soon as I hit the key. If the starter is dragging at all it will not get the torq to turn the motor correctly. Pull the starter and have it tested at your local parts store. I didn't think it could be my starter but it was.

·
03 f350 xl 7.3 2wd x-tend
119 Posts
:coalI have the same problem only on cold starts in the morning. All my GP light the test light when I test them( after replacing 4) and I explained it to a friend of mine that used to wrench at a ford dealership here and he told me he had a '91 same deal and replaced his injection pump and now his fires right up. Told me those pumps are only rated for 150,000 miles or so. My truck has 362,000. I crank it for 5 sec and then wait 3 sec and crank it again. I don't want to burn up another starter. And when it finally fires… whoa, watch yer lungs :coal

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts