The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone at Diesel Garage,
I have come here because we are having a problem with one of our 12 to 15 med. duty diesel trucks - a 2006 International 4300/DT466 that is losing coolant in some unknown way. Our regular mechanic ckd at the EGR Valve, and at the air brakes system, the oil, and all the usual places. He also left the cooling system pressurised overnight and it held 15 lbs with no budge.
We recently put on a new coolant resrvoir - one here thought it was broken and leaking under stress. That didn't help. Up until today, for the past week, it has been steady losing coolant at the rate of .5 to .75 gal. every 90 miles, about. Today, we got 150 miles ea. on 2 top-ups, for some reason, getting to and around Chicago beltway and after. Much of our travels to here included hills. We haven't carefully checked the back of the engine for hidden leaks. But, there are none around the sides or front; no tell-tale steam or smells or deposit build-up or trails of green - or, ANYthing on outside of engine that is visible. In a week of ckg there has been not the slightest indication of anything in the oil.
What does anyone think? I think we should check the EGR cooling system again; ck for leaks, somehow, into the intake manifold if that is possible. There is no color to the exhaust, and, no smell that we have noticed, and, no liquid dripping - although, the driver says, every now and then, that he smells coolant. In the same cab with him I haven't noticed.
Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks - MEJButch

·
2,555 Posts
have you checked the heater core ? with out the truck running the heater valves MAY be closed, and if the fan is not blowing across the core the anti freeze may be able to just leak out the A/C drain vents.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts