The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Im new to this forum and diesels. I've decided to trade my V10 gas hog in for a 05 6.0 King Ranch with 84,000k. It seems every wanna be mechanic i've met seems to think diesels are bulletproof. 80k is chump change for a diesel.
I realise the repercusions for suspention and other nonrelated engine issues that might arise. Thats what extended warranties are for, which i would get from Ford if need be. BUT. Am i wasting $25k? Also concidering it's an 05 so the 100,000 miles/ 5yr on engine coverage is gone.
I don't want to buy a truck based on a myth.

Thanks
Cottonmouth

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
I started a new thread for you so we keep them separate and easy to follow!

Welcome to TDG :five

·
147 Posts
You can consider it a myth or a figure of speech. You wouldn't hear a senior master tech say something like that. I'd consider a diesel to be broken in around 5k miles or so. Not sure on the exact number. There are many theories about why diesel's last longer than gasoline motors. Gas motors run a long time too if taken care of. Check youtube for million mile cars, they're all gas. Granted there are tons and tons of semi's out there with a million miles but I'm just saying gas motors can go the distance too. Some of the reasons that diesels take the miles better than gas engines include: They control heat better than gas engines, they run at lower RPM's, and the diesel fuel doesn't disolve/dillute engine oil like gasolne does.

I'd rather buy a well maintained 6.0 with 150k miles than a poorly maintaned 6.0 with 50k miles. It's ALL about mainenance.

·
139 Posts
mine has 80K, all issues have been driver inflicted...

·
789 Posts
Banshee hit the nail on the head. The 6.0 is unforgiving in the maint. dept. If you find one with a good history to it you have a good chance at being happy with it.

·
3,306 Posts
the diesel fuel doesn't disolve/dillute engine oil like gasolne does.

I'd rather buy a well maintained 6.0 with 150k miles than a poorly maintaned 6.0 with 50k miles. It's ALL about mainenance.
diesel fuel does dillute the engine oil in a diesel engine. You'll always have fuel in the oil in a diesel...just hope it's well under 2%. I'm sure at every oil change if you had an analysis done on the oil you'll find that. So most likely when you change your oil there will be around 1/4 quart(8oz.) of fuel in your 14-15quarts of oil. This is mostly due to the idling of a diesel. A diesel engine will dillute the oil with fuel more than a gasoline engine will i think.

·
387 Posts
There are a couple of aspects to this. In general, a light duty diesel engine will last between 250 and 750 thousand miles. That is substantially longer than most gasoline engine will last. They are very forgiving for the most part and can take a lot of abuse.

Now, this cannot be said for the 6.0. There are some known issues with them and if not taken care of, they can fail pre-maturely. That being said, it is designed to be a 250,000 mile engine. Many fleets run them much higher and many consumers are having issues around 150k. It all depends on driving habits, maintenance and a general roll of the dice. I’m personally not afraid of spending good hard earned money on theses trucks. I would have someone on here check the service history. With 80k on it, if it is a problem child, it would have lots of repairs. If it isn’t a basket case, then you are good in my opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts