The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a N14 460 in a 2001 Western Star. The last few times starting it took progressively longer to start. The last two times starting we had to give it a shot of either to get it to start before the batteries died. Since then we have installed a new starter because it tested weak. Now it seems to turn over well but still no start. the ECM has power and ground. I am getting a reading off the crank sensor when it is turning over (based off of my blue point scanner). Fuel shut off has 12V at the wire when key is on. Pressure tested the pump and was only getting 18 psi out if the port behind the fuel shutoff solenoid. Was told I needed at least 75 psi to start the truck and 140 running so I installed a new pump. Still no start. What am I missing. All Fluids are topped off. Filter is new. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
189 Posts
I would check the fuel restriction regardless of when you replaced the fuel filter in case you have a bad fuel line. Should run a Baldwin 1259 filter or equivalent if you aren't already. They have a stand pipe built in and help pick the fuel up quicker. Also there should be a check valve in the outlet of the ecm cooling plate. They sometimes go bad or get something stuck in them. You can take them apart too. N14's are pretty sensitive to cranking speed so if you think it is ok after the starter replacement you should have that covered. Usually they will fire up at about 40 psi on the fuel rail.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts