The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
300 H&amp ;amp ;amp ;amp ;
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at Ford dealer the other day and got a set of filters for my truck. Was amazed and P.O.ed that they were $77. So I went to the Navistar dealer with the ford filters, to see what they charge. The parts guy was curious about this to and it turns out they were $10 cheaper than ford. We got into a conversation about the 6.0L witch they refere to as the VT365. It seems that in their trucks, they have had very little trouble with it. It was coffee break and a mechanic piped up that the Ford version is making a good bit more HP than the version they use, and that is why it has trouble in the Ford application, as they are crowding it pretty hard in STOCK form. With a "tuner" he said all bets are off as these were simply not designed to make that much power, especially in a towing situation. I own quite a few Diesel engins and have had very little problems with any of them, yet I constantly hear how bad some of these Ford versions are. Bit I guess I'm not surprized if they are supped-up and beat on that they break. IMHO I think they have plenty of power in stock form, and after talking to the Navastar folks I won't be adding any "power adders" to mine. I was wondering now if I took it to Navistar, if they could "flash" the computor with thier settings, derate mine and I could stop worring about breaking it, or having it "puke". Can this be done? Best reguards, Kirk P.S. it an 06 model

·
645 Posts
i dont think it would work, im pretty sure the modules in the fords are different than the internationals. im sure a tunner out there could make somthing for you if you want less power.
but one thing ive noticed is they way you drive it, not to offend anyone but it seems like allot of the trucks that are driven by "old men" not in a hurry to get anywhere seem to have less problems than the 16 yo old rich kids truck who has the mind set to burn as much fuel as possible.

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fordboyyfm,

No offence taken at all, I'm not that old.....just use it for work and need it to hang together daily and go 300K in the next 10 or so years. I want to wear it out slooooowy! Best reguards Kirk

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
300 H&H said:
I was wondering now if I took it to Navistar, if they could "flash" the computor with thier settings, derate mine and I could stop worring about breaking it, or having it "puke". Can this be done? Best reguards, Kirk P.S. it an 06 model
The Navistar dealer can't flash your Ford truck. Even though most of the hard parts are interchangeable, the VT365 uses a much different computer than the Ford version. IIRC, the IH computer is much faster and more robust than the Ford computer. Aside from that, the Ford computer also controls a lot of other systems on the truck that the IH version does not have to deal with.

·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys,

Well, their computor is faster and more robust. Why would Ford settle for less than the guys who build the rest of the engine do? Is it a matter of cost? Do Ford engineers think they know more about Navastar diesels thay Navastar/international does? We bad mouth the Navstar Guys alot around here, maybe the real problem is in Dearborn? Wish I knew more about their engine management parrameters for a "custom" tuner to replicate. Do you suppose the right person could do that? Thanks Kirk

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
300 H&H said:
Thanks guys,

Well, their computor is faster and more robust. Why would Ford settle for less than the guys who build the rest of the engine do? Is it a matter of cost? Do Ford engineers think they know more about Navastar diesels thay Navastar/international does? We bad mouth the Navstar Guys alot around here, maybe the real problem is in Dearborn? Wish I knew more about their engine management parrameters for a "custom" tuner to replicate. Do you suppose the right person could do that? Thanks Kirk
I suspect a custom tuner could write you a file that would replicate most of the IH programming but I doubt it would be easy since the IH computer "samples" the sensors a lot more frequently than the Ford computer does or is capable of doing. They probably haven't written one so far because there probably isn't much call for one. Most folks seem to be looking for more power, not less.............

About the computer, I can only guess and my guess is that Ford's computer supplier and IH's are different and Ford didn't want to go shopping for a new computer supplier for just one engine line............ Again, that is only a guess.

As far as the programming goes, IH engineers worked hand in hand with Ford engineers to write the programming Ford uses on the 6.0 (at least they did in the beginning, can't swear to what is happening now.). So laying all the blame on either company is probably wrong. They both played a part, so both should get to share the blame.

·
345 Posts
if you leave it stock and dont push it hard you probably do not need to re-flash it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
fordboyyfm said:
but one thing ive noticed is they way you drive it, not to offend anyone but it seems like allot of the trucks that are driven by "old men" not in a hurry to get anywhere seem to have less problems than the 16 yo old rich kids truck who has the mind set to burn as much fuel as possible.
No offense, but I would have to disagree with that. It seems like everybody that DRIVE the trucks, including myself, have very few problems if none. Most people that baby the trucks seem to have more problems.

Kyle

·
1,660 Posts
just curious if anyone knows if this is also true with the cummins and the dmax . meaning are they also de-tuned in the bigger trucks or is it only the 6.0

·
1,660 Posts
6.0superduty said:
No offense, but I would have to disagree with that. It seems like everybody that DRIVE the trucks, including myself, have very few problems if none. Most people that baby the trucks seem to have more problems.

Kyle

Not to disagree with anyone here but Fordboy is a diesel tech for a very large Ford dealership and sees many of the 6.0s coming his way. his statement is probably an educated observation of what he sees.

·
645 Posts
thanks matt.

yeah 99.9% of 6.0s break, the fast kid or the slow old man, but trucks that get rapped all day long are gonna see more problems and get wore out faster than something thats loved and caressed!

only reason i say that is because sometimes a truck may come in with one problem, say a fuel pump went bad, so i replace it and i go out a run the piss out of it down the highway for a couple miles to get the air out of it and the stc fitting blows out becuase the truck isnt used to seeing icp at thoose high levels for that long period of time. happens all the time. fix one thing on the truck go test drive it and then something else breaks.

now dont go on complaining that you take your truck to ford and the tech is gonna go burn it up, its not like that just simply doing our job, sometime you got to run it hard to make sure things are ok, get it good and hot, or simply break somthing in or clear the engine/cat out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts