The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok NC people. This yearly emissions and safety check is sure a PITA. Last year my inspector gave me a hard time about me installing a 5" exhaust and that I had removed the factory cat. As far as I knew, cats were not required on diesels. He gave me a pass though since I just spent $900 on new tires. But now my 09 inspection is due. Have others had this problem since installing aftermarket turboback exhausts?

Tim

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
If you're going to be inspected each year just get some adaptors and put the cat back on just for inspection.

·
5,365 Posts
all you have to do is tell 'em that YOUR year truck was NOT produced w/ a CAT !
ford was HIT and miss on the CAT application from the FACTORY until 2004.

this is EXACTLY why ive told folks <who have cats on their trucks from the factory>
that they should NOT WELD new plumbing in place.

the MBRP cat delete/test pipe takes no more than 15 or 20minutes to complete
the swap....2 bolts and a clap...and your done, no cutting or welding required !

the MBRP cat delete / test pipe is the EXACT SIZE *AND* length as the factory
cat...NO CUTTING or RESIZING of ANY 3rd party or factory exhaust system required.

best 50 bucks ive EVER spent !

·
42 Posts
My 03 is straight piped but i also work at an inspection station. The computer skips over the emssion test on diesels, as in you dont even have to check to see if anything is there.

·
TDG Member Since 2004?
584 Posts
My 2000 F250 has no cat... Does the VIN decode tell whether a vehicle is supposed to have one or not? Or is it the underhood sticker? Maybe the manual tranny version of your truck didn't have a cat? Maybe you can get an emmissions sticker from one of those?

·
The DUDE!!
1,806 Posts
In Texas for a diesel, there is no requirement for a cat to be present even if it came on the truck. A diesel is only a visual safety inspection, ie lights, horns, tires, etc. From my sources in the inspection world, they will never institute it on smaller diesels in the near future. If they do it will be years down the road.

I'm not sure how other states do it, but i love the way Texas does it!!

·
16 Posts
Mines straight piped and turned down under the truck. I just got it inspected Friday, and there wasnt anything said about it. Of course i live in the up in the mountains of wnc, so we usually are the last to get any of that emssions crap. Lol

·
14 Posts
good info. my delete pipe has been sitting in my toolbox for about 3 weeks. it'll be on in a couple days now. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts