The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have BFG T/A KO 285 75 16s to pull the TT in my signature. One of the main reasons that I upgraded to this tire is that it very nicely filled my wheel wells after the spring swap. Unfortunatel, I found out after the fact that the 285 is too wide for the stock wheel. I'm concerned that I'm not getting the sidewall stiffness that I should and this could be contributing to some of the poor handling characteristics of the truck while I'm towing.

Is there a tire that will give me the same height as my BFGs but fit better on my stock wheel?

·
1,409 Posts
Have you checked out the new nitto dura grapplers? They are still m+s rated but more of a highway tire. They look good and I would consider them, if they came in a 315.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
We used GY Wrangler HTs with great success in our bus fleet on the E-350 w/DRW and GM 3500 series vans. They wear a long time and were of good quality, I would reccomend them to anyone.

They are not "off-road" tires, and are marginal in deep or wet snow, but we never had any traction *problems* with them.

·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a tire size available that will give me the height of the 285 but will also fit my 7" wide stock rim?

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Spindrift said:
Currently have BFG T/A KO 285 75 16s to pull the TT in my signature. One of the main reasons that I upgraded to this tire is that it very nicely filled my wheel wells after the spring swap. Unfortunatel, I found out after the fact that the 285 is too wide for the stock wheel. I'm concerned that I'm not getting the sidewall stiffness that I should and this could be contributing to some of the poor handling characteristics of the truck while I'm towing.

Is there a tire that will give me the same height as my BFGs but fit better on my stock wheel?
Here's the problem. A load range D tire as you now have, has a more flexible sidewall and a lower inflation capacity (65psi) than a load range E tire that came with your truck (load range E 80 psi). I don't think it's too wide for your wheel (technically it is, but that's not really the problem), the problem is the sidewall flexibility in a load range D tire you have.

Believe it or not, bigger, beefier off road tires are a bad choice for towing compared to a boring, 265 small, stiff 80 psi load range E tire. They are softer and more flexible, so they grip better, but when you put a lot of weight on them, the sidewalls bulge and they sway a lot.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts

·
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Duke...my BFGs are Load Range E. I'm trying to find a better blend of "form and function", so to speak. The 265s look like little donuts on my truck. I would like something almost as tall as the 285s but in a size where I know I will minimize a_n_y sidewall bulge.

Thanks, I'll look into the Toyo.

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
Spindrift said:
Duke...my BFGs are Load Range E. I'm trying to find a better blend of "form and function", so to speak. The 265s look like little donuts on my truck. I would like something almost as tall as the 285s but in a size where I know I will minimize a_n_y sidewall bulge.

Thanks, I'll look into the Toyo.
Well, if 3/10ths of an inch isn't too much smaller, the 255/85's should be perfect for you.

BTW: I didn't know BFG 285's were available in load range E. I thought only D.

·
Resident GINGER
775 Posts
Duke said:
BTW: I didn't know BFG 285's were available in load range E. I thought only D.
The only thing is that you can't get the E's with an outlined white letter, like you can in the D's. One of my friends just got the 285 E's on his f-250 because they were cheaper than the D's too.

·
52 Posts
The 285 is a measurement of tire width. The 75/85/etc. is the sidewall height.

EDIT: I think.

·
Registered
51 Posts
you're right the first number 285 is 285mm wide..... the second number 75 is the height 75% of the width in this case 285/75 r16 ...... is 285 mm wide 75% of 285mm is the height on a 16 in rim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts