The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Lowes yesterday and happened to go down the chainsaw isle and I am thinking maybe a 20in saw.
Currently on our lot we probably have up to a 6 inch caliper tree and a bunch of Ash trees. Obviously those ash trees will be coming down soon and want a saw that can handle it. I also HATE being under powered for anything so, give me your recommendations.
Is the Husqvarna a good brand? If not what is?
Is a 20 inch saw too much?
Not enough?

thanks

·
*^%$#@&am p;am p;am p;am p;am
1,327 Posts
trust me a husky is best
i dont need to prove myself
a 357xp would be your best bet
and i will wrestle anybody here who disagres

·
1,327 Posts
also saws are not under powered only users and chains are blunt most of the time

·
1,327 Posts

·
1,327 Posts
dumb link sorry
357xp thats your saw :Thumbup:

·
1,327 Posts
just dont use the tip of the saw to start your cut

·
TDG Mafia 23
1,846 Posts
I have a Husqvarna 55 Rancher with a 20 bar on it. Best saw I have ever owned. My company also uses a couple Husqvarna chainsaws and demolition saws and they definately stand up to the abuse that they are given.

·
326 Posts
aussiedave said:
trust me a husky is best
i dont need to prove myself
a 357xp would be your best bet
and i will wrestle anybody here who disagres

definitely go with the husqvarna :Thumbup:

·
Registered
333 Posts
After Katrina, I bought a Husqvarna 16" saw at Lowes to cut my way back to my house and out from under a forest of trees. Hindsight would have had me buy the 20" saw but the 16" did just fine. Several of my neighbors bought the 20" and loved it as well. The one advantage of the smaller saw is weight. I literally used mine daily for several months and the only thing to replace was several chains. If you keep them babies sharpened, you can't kill this saw. When getting in precarious positions up on a roof full of holes or shimmying up the side of a tree snapped off with pressure on the trunk, it was adventageous to have the smaller, lighter saw. I also had to replace the blade on mine after someone cut a tree down and it fell on it and buried my new saw. After digging it out, the only thing wrong was the bent blade. After using several Craftsman saws to supplement this one, the Husqvarna wins hands down. Also used several Stihl saws during the same time and they tended to be more tempermental even though they were new as well. Sorry for being so long winded but wanted all to know how the husky bailed me out in trying times.

·
Registered
333 Posts
As far as blade size goes, it also depends on what it's primary use is going to be. I cut some trees with 28" inch trunk with the 16" blade but that was the exception. Mostly smaller stuff including lots of tops.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Chainsaw....

Personally, don't think you can beat the Stihl. I have the 20" bar and it cuts circles around the Husky's in this part of the woods. Better warranty also.

·
1,327 Posts
IWEJAN said:
Personally, don't think you can beat the Stihl. I have the 20" bar and it cuts circles around the Husky's in this part of the woods. Better warranty also.
so your a professional logger?

·
1,327 Posts
try this with a stihl
3120xp husky with a 6 foot bar ripping aussie hardwood into 3 inch slabs for tables

Attachments

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I will argue... I worked on both Husq and Stihl at the Exuipment dealership.. Stihls vibration isolators hold up much better. They are easier to work on and serivce. They have throttle linkage not janky cables.. And seem to make more power? Also Russ, Look at your service from Lowes... You have none.. Your local Stihl Dealer normally will have a repair shop for all your warranty work or repairs. You have to weigh the variables..

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks everyone for the info.

·
1,327 Posts
BogginF350 said:
I will argue... I worked on both Husq and Stihl at the Exuipment dealership.. Stihls vibration isolators hold up much better. They are easier to work on and serivce. They have throttle linkage not janky cables.. And seem to make more power? Also Russ, Look at your service from Lowes... You have none.. Your local Stihl Dealer normally will have a repair shop for all your warranty work or repairs. You have to weigh the variables..
you better tell my husky saws this
mine have been trouble free and i have been logging and rural fencing 20 years
only the" husky XP series" is any good the rest of the husky series make good boat anchors.
notice in my original posts i never put stihls down

·
411 Posts
Just to confuse you a little more I'll toss another name in the pot. :sly:

Jonsered

They have some very nice saws, engines are built by Husky, and some of their other parts are also Husky. I have a CS-2150 with a little 16" bar on it and man that puppy will limb like no bodies buisness. It's light, just over 9lbs without the bar and has gobbs of torque. It also has the side chain tension adjustment, and a compression release for easier starts. It has been a good saw for me without any problems. I also own a 365 Special Husky with a 20" bar on it and it's a power house as well but over kill for just a casual use saw. Normaly I'm reaching for the 2150 unless we are cutting up some really big stuff for firewood. In a chainsaw you really need to buy according to what you want to use it for. For weekend use cutting firewood and cleaning up around the property a 18" bar is a good choice if you only will own one saw. This will make it easier to handle and should be plenty big enough to take care of anything around the farm or house.

Here is a link to the Jonsered's

http://www.tilton.usa.jonsered.com/node246.aspx

DB

1 - 20 of 52 Posts