The Diesel Garage banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
huskys used to be nice saws and i used to use only huskys for a long time, but since lowes started selling them, no one wants to work on them, and the parts are nearly impossible to get right away! another thing is since the lowes selling bit, they have been skimping out on the quality of the engine parts; one piston ring instead of 2, ect... making them a throwaway saw to me. sooo i'm back to using stihl saws and nobody has a problem working on them and parts are more readily available. my $ .02

·
203 Posts
The county I live in is one of the top timber producers in the state, and 90% use Husky or Jonserd here. I'm told they are built in the same factory. What ever you buy get it from a saw & equipment dealer & not Lowes. The saws that Lowes sells are built for the price Lowes dictates, not always the same quality.I like Husky & my dad swears by Stil. Just my 2 cents.

·
Mod Friendly Title
2,695 Posts
I've got two main saws that I use all the time. One is an Echo, and the other is a Stihl. The Stihl blows, basically. Never runs right, hard to start, and we're always having problems with the chain on it. The Echo has been great.

·
Haulin' Azz
3,111 Posts
aussiedave said:
trust me a husky is best
i dont need to prove myself
a 357xp would be your best bet
and i will wrestle anybody here who disagres
372XPG , blows your doors off! Lets go ! LOL

·
In the passing lane
1,195 Posts
Husky all the way. I got one and have had no problems with it at all. I went with the 18 inch bar and it suits my needs fine for firewood, and clearing. Also have a Poulan with a 16 inch bar that dad uses and have had only 1 problem with it and that was from not running it for over a year the diaphfram (sp) dried up.

But Husky all the way

·
*^%$#@&am p;am p;am p;am p;am
1,327 Posts
BROKER said:
372XPG , blows your doors off! Lets go ! LOL
i was drinking jagermiester last night when i typed thatLOL
dont worry i chased the wife round the house allnight to no avail
jezzz shes a quick runner:poke:

·
3,754 Posts
Husky isnt bad. The problem I ahve always had w/the 55 ranchers is they are a tad hard starting when first cold, overnight. If you can finda 455 rancher w/the primer bulb makes the job easier (esp if you run them till they run out of gas.). Huskys arent bad saws, I own both 55 rancher, and 455, the biggest problem I have (and have called husky support to no help) the 2 nuts that hold your bar and side shield come loose. The lady at tech said they were vibrating loose becasue i didnt have htem tight enough, told me the torque spec i torqued them still vibrated loose. Next step lock washer, still vibrate loose. Now I put a very very super duper small dab of loc tite on there (make sure its the right color) and have had no prolems since. Sthil are very good saws as well. I recommend jonsered very very durable and pricy but worth it if you got a good nearby dealer

·
Let Me See Yo Grille
1,107 Posts
I vote Stihl! Thats all we run. Whether it be blowers, weedeaters, chainsaws, you name it. We have 2 chainsaws and they do everything we've ever needed them to do! Never any problems out of them. Get some balls and get a STIHL! LOL :poke:

·
Premium Member
4,158 Posts
I have to say Stihl is the way to go, I have worked with a few for misc. reasons and they start very easily that is why I like them. And also my Unce own a tree care business and all he uses is Stihls, i have worked with him multiple times and they never fail. I have also seen him cut down trees that were 5ft in diameter with a 32in chainsaw with no problem.

·
411 Posts
I got a Stihl blower I've come close to setting on fire about a dozen times now. :squish

The old Farm Boss Stihl made was a good saw, and the bigger 044 and up stuff was good but I hear lots of bad things about their cheaper stuff ( but I do on everyones cheaper line too). I also have a FS85 trimmer that is one tuff SOB, still on the stock plug in that thing and it's 12 years old now I think. :Thumbup: I'm afraid to change the plug for having to adjust the carb to get it to run right. :shrug: :damnit

Stay with something you can buy and get service where you buy it. Go to a place that sells and maintains the equipment and you will have much better resaults in the long run. I also run aviation fuel in all my 2stroke equipment. Much better than pump gas on the little fellers. :Thumbup:

DB

·
Let Me See Yo Grille
1,107 Posts
D_B said:
The old Farm Boss Stihl made was a good saw, and the bigger 044 and up stuff was good but I hear lots of bad things about their cheaper stuff ( but I do on everyones cheaper line too).
DB

goes back to the ol sayin "you get what you pay for"

·
411 Posts
BigWhiteSicksO said:
goes back to the ol sayin "you get what you pay for"
Yep! :Thumbup:

DB

·
1,327 Posts
who else besides me spends 30hours plus on a chainsaw every week?

·
1,327 Posts

·
FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB
273 Posts
I say Husky.

I use a Husky at home, and a Stihl at work. My Husky runs great, starts easily, and cuts really well. In my experience, the Stihl seems to be more tempermental, and doesn't start as easily or run as well.

Whatever you do, buy your saw at a good dealer that sells equipment mainly to professionals. Stay away from stores like HD and Lowe's. The small saw and mower dealers are way more knowledgeable and you can get it serviced there as well.

·
Registered
333 Posts
RCannon, betcha never figured you would get this much feedback about chainsaws :wow This is a great place to get valuable info when you need it.

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
nope, never expected this much info.
Seems chainsaw brands are like truck brands, each has good stories and each has bad. I think if I go with a reputable dealer and either the Stihl or the Husky I will be fine.
thanks all for your input.

·
Old Geezer-TDG Mafia #19
4,396 Posts
Late to the party again.

I used a Husky 2100xd when i was in cali logging, had a 36" bar on it til my back started hurting so I dropped back to a 32" bar and the problem was solve. Seems I was having to lean back to much with the 36" bar and the 32" put me back in a good stance.

I use and old stihl 045AV at home that was my dads, it is close to thirty years old and has been used hard most of its life, still starts and runs good every time.

So in answer to your question get one of the two most talked about on this thread and get one that is comfortable for you to hold and that will translate to better usability.

Always use fresh mix and a good two stroke oil, and keep the chain sharp and well oiled.

LargeCar:usflag :mafia :usflag

21 - 40 of 52 Posts