The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i think that I have done enough that I need an aftermarket trans.

Mine is slipping badly!

I use the truck to pull a trailer with 3 zero turns during the summer and sometimes a 2 horse bumper pull. I'm for sure that I will be adding more power in addition to whats in my sig.

Any suggestions and prices?

·
3,514 Posts
I have a DTT in mine and I'm really pleased with it, however if I were going to do it all over again I'd probably go with a transmission built by Dave Goerend. Call the following places and see who you feel most comfortable with. DTT, Goerend, HTS, Suncoast, NADP. Prices, it kind of depends on who you go with and what you get in it, which will be determined by what you want to use the truck for. Expect anywhere from $3850-7500.
Sean

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats alot of money for a trans!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
550 Posts
cajuncummins said:
gorend is the way to go. they have the only torque converter with a lifetime warrenty, thats the way i would go. suncoast is good. i dont like there vbs that much but they are ok though.

·
4,827 Posts
iwannagofast said:
Thats alot of money for a trans!!!!!!!!!
As long as you don't go over 400hp and don't need the billets parts, you can get a Goerend with a triple disc lock up clutch torque convertor (he does have a single as well) installed for $3600. That would also include 2 of the 3 steel cooler lines, which would be wise to have installed. The plastic retainers run a hole in the lines over time, the OEM quick disconnect fittings leak, and the short rubber hose on the t/c output circuit gets hard and can crack.

The hp bug is an expensive and slippery slope. THOUGHT I'd stop at 300hp. That was few years ago. Over that now. LOL

·
1,189 Posts
well dodge did upgrade the tranny lines I believe in 98 because of the issues etc. but I would say get rid of your heat exchanger they just cause issues and make sure to flush your stock cooler really well or you could have problems. Trust me I went through this all in less than a year. Now my trans never sees 200. You will enjoy the better lock up of the converter and the nice shifting you get from a new one. while your there especially since your doing some towing and going to add some more hp upgrade the flexplate too they can crack and you have to pull the trans out of the way to get to it so save time and money.

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The thing is that the trans is only about 8 months into a fresh rebuild and I would hate to waste money on all the new parts that were replaced when rebuilt.

The rebuild happened about 2 months before I bought the truck, and when I called the guy that rebuilt it to see what parts were used all I got out of him was a bunch of crap, including him telling me that " i installed a better than stock torque converter".

He also gave me a big lecture about how the truck didn't need more power that it had enough as it was. which was stock when he rebuilt it.LOL

What usually goes into a rebuild and can i use anything out of the old trans to keep the price of the new one down? If I try to rebuild it.

·
232 Posts
u can try what ever you want but youll sure find out that getting it fixed the first time is the best thing. bandaids dont stick to diesels lol

go with dave u cant go wrong and you wont have no worries!

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is he on here?

·
454 Posts
Moose 04 said:
gorend is the way to go. they have the only torque converter with a lifetime warrenty, thats the way i would go. suncoast is good. i dont like there vbs that much but they are ok though.

Just curious as to why you don't like the suncoast valve body? I am looking into upgrading my tranny later down the road. was gonna go with ATS, but was told from experience diesel performance people up here in New England that suncoast was great and they told me to stay away from ATS? What was it about the suncost VB that you didn't like?

·
Cummins Man
980 Posts
Suncoast has the softest shifts out of the ones I've road in which is nice. If you want to feel it and it to shift fast HTS has the nicest VB I think.

·
232 Posts
i know the ats race valve body shift pretty rough

·
454 Posts
dazed&confused said:
Suncoast has the softest shifts out of the ones I've road in which is nice. If you want to feel it and it to shift fast HTS has the nicest VB I think.

HMMM thanks for the info, well i do want to feel the shifts, like a little or slight jolt, but i am not looking for something that will jerk into gear and shake up my kidneys. HTS or do you mean ATS?

·
706 Posts
iwannagofast said:
The thing is that the trans is only about 8 months into a fresh rebuild and I would hate to waste money on all the new parts that were replaced when rebuilt.

The rebuild happened about 2 months before I bought the truck, and when I called the guy that rebuilt it to see what parts were used all I got out of him was a bunch of crap, including him telling me that " i installed a better than stock torque converter".

He also gave me a big lecture about how the truck didn't need more power that it had enough as it was. which was stock when he rebuilt it.LOL

What usually goes into a rebuild and can i use anything out of the old trans to keep the price of the new one down? If I try to rebuild it.
Listen,you may have had a fresh rebuild,but you said its slipping badly.Once that happens you are past the point of saving it with a tc and vb.You now need a trans built for your Hp level. My advice is if the truck is pre 2000,you can get away with a HD rebuild with a TC and shift kit or VB.Gorend was suggested,and its probably your best bet for the money.If you have a 2000 or newer truck ,get the above + a billet input as the minimum.I would still get a billet input with a 99 or older if you have the funds.
Dont let how a valve body shifts(firmness)in another persons CTD affect your buying decision,let there history,experience,and customer satisfastion affect it.Fact is ,most trucks will shift different just because of a few variables from truck to truck,more than who's system it is. Shift firmness is adjustable,not easily ,but it can be changed.Ive done this many times.
The only company I could recommend from personal experience is DTT,the others mentioned,I do not have any personal experience installing.

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The trans still shifts fine, like when I first got the truck, it has a good solid shift.

Its just that when in O.D. when i give it throttle the motor spools then the rpms move up about 300 then the truck starts to gain speed. Do I have a problem or am i just being paranoid? Also the risk of the input shaft breaking is on my brain.

·
Registered
157 Posts
mine is doin the same thing. i am goin to do a tc and vb from goerend and that should hold me over for a good while but i dont tow over 3500lbs regually and just to zero turn lawn mowers in the summer. the big deal imho is if you are smart about the power you have and take it easy with it loaded and dont hot rod it all the time it will last alittle longer. but if you wanna play you gotta pay. cause i figure taht when i get the right amount of air i should be a little above 400hp and a billet shaft would be nice but $$ is a facctor so i think a vb and tc will cover it

1 - 19 of 19 Posts