The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just did some trading and got restored 1937 JD A . i have two other two cylinder deere's but they are electric start . this is the first hand start i've messed with . i know the flywheel has to be in the position of the compression stroke to crank . is there a good way to tell when the flywheel is in position to crank ? the thing cranks right up when the flywheel is in position but , by the time i get it to position and it fires , i have spun it 'till i'm worn out . if i knew where the flywheel needed to be , i believe it would crank easy and not kick my butt . anybody know ?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody know ?

·
207 Posts
usually we've just spun em around until it "feels" right... I'm sure you know to open the petcocks to relieve the cylinder pressures...

B

·
0 Posts
Open the petcocks and you can roll it over slowly till you feel the compression stroke, then roll it through the compression stroke and it should fire. On hand start tractors, everything has to be in excellent condition and working properly or you will crank until your blue in the face. A tractor with a good strong mag, well adjusted carb, and good mechanical condition will start by literally just rolling the flywheel over the compression stroke. You should never have to crank hard on it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did know about the petcock on the compression . i usually open them even on my electric start tractors when cranking . after messing with it i can feel the compression stroke and it cranks easy now .

·
J Mann Backhoe Service
404 Posts
We had a 37 model A. If you rolled the flywheel over easily it would start. Actually the flywheel would pull out of your hand. Everything had been reworked. When it does act up it can be a pain. I usually parked it on a hill if I was gonna mess with it much.

·
4,827 Posts
We've pull started ours more than a few times. LOL Motor was tight from an overhaul. Once we used it to run a 10"x70' auger for a week or 2, it seated the rings and it starts fairly easy now. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts