The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My family and I are looking to get into a new fifth wheel and are considering a toy hauler. The floor plan that would suit us best is the Raptor 365 LEV. I would love to hear any opinions, good or bad, on this unit. What experience have you had with the Raptor line and dealing with Keystone.
One issue I am concerned with is I think it might be a bit much for my truck. My tow vehicle is a Dodge Ram 3500 SRW Mega Cab SLT 4x4 with 4:10 gears and a 6.7 Cummins Diesel. I've upgraded from the stock tires to a wider Nitto Terra Grappler (305/70-17) rated for 3640 lbs. With this trailer I would be within all specs except for payload. Payload cap. is 2970 lbs and the listed weight for the 365 is 2970 lbs. so I would definitely be over on payload but I believe I would still be under the 6200 lb rear GAWR and within the 16,7000 lb trailer weight cap. GCWR is 24,000 lbs. GVWR is 10,100 lbs.
I'm not real comfortable with the pin weight but was hoping to get some tales of real world experience with this trailer and a mega cab or similar set up. The listed payload for the 2009 DRW 4x4 Mega is 2950 lbs so getting the dually would not have helped me capacity wise and I would find a different trailer before I would give up the mega cab. Just too used to the room now I guess.
If I did get one I would be hauling empty quite a bit and using it as a storage/ playroom for my 2 kids. How would that affect the towing vs. a loaded box?

Thanks, Dave

·
In the passing lane
1,453 Posts
A loaded box tows better IMO. But you will have no problem towing that trailer with your truck. My uncle pulls a 40' raptor with his 05 single rear wheel.

·
Slacker
39 Posts
Just because you can't doesn't mean that you should. The weight ratings are there for a reason. I can't offer an opinion on that particular unit, but I absolutely LOVE my toy hauler. Beware if you have the MOD bug, you will likely want to start modding your trailer and that gets FREAKIN' EXPENSIVE. Best of luck in whatever you decide.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
First,

All my dealings with keystone have been fine, but the only problem is I haven't had to deal with them much at all. Just calling to ask questions, to which they gave me an honest answer.
Our 2008 Keystone Cougar Toyhauler has been great.

Next,

Yes your 6.7L will pull it but, I would make sure your pin weight is not to much for the truck. With your oversize tires your gear ratio is off, I run a stock sized Michelin LTX AT2 on mine and it rides great, also I have a set of pac brake air bags, which have been the best mod or at least top 5 I have done. IF you keep the single wheel I highly recommend a set of pac brake bags. They will not increase your ability but that will greatly improve the ride while loaded.

Overall,

Keystone = Great Company

Being over pay load is kinda a sketchy place to be, I think that particular toyhauler belongs behind a DRW. but thats just my 0,02s

·
1,224 Posts
Something to check out. You say the pin weight is 2970, but is that empty or loaded?
With many toy haulers the pin weight is heaver then non-toy haulers when empty. They are designed this way beacuse when the rear garage is filled up with toys it takes some weight off the pin. Now if you tow with the garage empty then it doesn't help your pin weight issue.

Like Neel said install airbags. I used firestone and it doesn't take much air pressure to level out the truck. I use 25-35psi with my 2100 lbs pin weight.

Don't have any experience with Keystone.:shrugs

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've given up on the toy hauler, just too heavy.
I'm now considering an Open Range 427bhs
UVW- 11840 lbs
Dry Hitch Weight- 1920
This fiver is much lighter than the Raptor but still pushing the limits of GVWR.
May have to go smaller yet...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts