The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't get to work today as it seems there's something electrical wrong with my 2001 F-250 7.3L. I'll try to remember the events as they happened. Over the last few days the truck could be hard to start, or not, when cold. When it was hard to start it would turn over fine but not start the first time. The second time it would start OK.

This morning it started fine. After 30 seconds or so I turned on my lights and immediately the guages, radio, etc. appeared to lose power. Then the engine surged a couple of times like it shut off and started back quickly (like it does some times in very cold weather). It kind of "bucked" twice. After that everything electrical came on and seemed OK.

As I got to my destination I noticed that the transmission O/D light on the shifter was blinking. When I put the truck in park the engine reved slightly for a couple of seconds almost like it was going to high idle but the RPMs never got that high.

When I got back in the truck to come to the house I turned the key to the on position to wait for the light and there was a very fast clicking noise that seemed to come from the left side of the dashboard, the O/D light and the clock on the radio were both flashing. I turned the key off, then to the on position again, waited for the light to go off then the truck started as normal.

It did the same things on the way back to the house but also seemed a little sluggish from a dead stop twice, but not every time I stopped.

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
Check your wiring harness for loose connections or any rubbing.

·
The one and only
410 Posts
Do you have a chip or tuner in the truck? If so set it to stock and take it out and see what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found it!

I think. Had a little corrosion on two battery cables. Cleaned all four and the problem seems to be gone!

·
The one and only
410 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts