The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna get to my truck next week and have had it stored for 6 months. I removed the batteries and put diesel Kleen in the tank before i left it. Is there a way i can crank over the truck without starting it. I mean is there anything like a fuel pump fuse, ect that i can disconnect and crank the engine to circulate some oil? Maybe a dumb question. Please let me know. BTW this i part of another post i started awhile back.

·
Registered
281 Posts
not sure where the oil fill tube is routed to in these engines, if the oil poured in runs through the engine rather then directly to the pan I would just drain off a quart & dump in a fresh quart to coat. :shrug:

·
59 Posts
There is no really good way to prime these engines. The only way I could think of is to get a little 12V pump and a jug of oil and tie into the test port on the bottom of the oil filter and pump some oil through the system.

I would say you should just crank it up though. Be sure you've got a good battery charge though because the high pressure oil rails have likely lost their prime and you may have to crank for up to a minute to get it to fire anyways.

·
Registered
118 Posts
just fire it up and drive away. millions of engines sit for long times and just start upwith no harm. this isnt a gigantic old aircraft recip engine that had an oil sysetm 2 miles long. there is no need to do anything.

·
356 Posts
Where did you have it stored? Outside or inside? Full tank of fuel? The only thing I would worry about is the fuel. I know you poured in some Diesel Kleen but you might still have developed some algae or water. I would pour in something to counter this and let it set for a day before I started it up. Just what I would do.

Scott

·
775 Posts
Just plug it in for a couple of hrs and crank her up. And let her idle for a couple of min. Its not as bad as after changing your oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts