The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna do a twin set up. I'm currently running a single hx40. The hx40 doesn't have much lag at all now. I was considering doing a set up with the hx40 up top and maybe a ht3b on the bottom. I know people running that making 80 lbs of boost. Is that the best way to go oe should I do something a little bigger like adam cornell with a s362 and a s480 which makes 100 lbs. I just don't know how much lag that will have. I was maybe thinking of using a hx50 up top with something else on the bottom but I just don't know. Its a street truck that I drag race sometimes . I don't mind some lag but I don't wanna have to sit and wait awhile for it to light either. Any help would be great. Thanks for your input.

·
3,514 Posts
whats the budget? 62 or 64 s480 combo with the 1.32 a/r would probably be the best set up, but thats a little pricey. The hx40 ht3b combo works and would be good on a budget, but I think that the other combo would work better.
Sean

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What should I use to spool up the s480, the hx40 or something else. And what would the differences be between wheels other than size.

·
Hot Rod Farm Boy
1,226 Posts
Newer design = more air for size and quicker spool up

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So a 64mm s480 would be better than the 62mm. Is the 64 harder to spool than the 62. And what should I use to spool it. Is the hx 40 enough.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The HX-40 over 3B is an old, but tried and true set up. I know of a few 24V making 650+hp on these twins.

If can afford more, then jump up to an S300/S400 combo. Many variations for spool and power.

I have run and S300g over S400 and a 62 over S480. Both spooled well and towed great. I would say unless you are going to run huge injectors and get a Monster pump, then just stay with the S400. Any SO VP does not have the fuel to justify an S480.

Also, you noted 100psi with a 62 over S480. More PSI is not always a good thing. My twins ran best and had the lowest temp at close to 60-65psi. Going over with the same fueling just made EGT's climb.

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did do a p pump conversion with a 180 pump. I'm grinding the fuel plate the rest of the way down soon and sliding it the whole way. I also have 4g springs which I am considering 5gs or the race springs from dynomite and I'm currently running a set of 200 hp injectors.

·
1,189 Posts
what are your plans with the truck? Thats what needs to be known. If you get too crazy it's not going to be very street friendly

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its a daily driver that I also drag race and dyno. Id like to see around 650 - 750 hp.

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
is the k31 pretty much the same as a s480. i heard of people running a k31 with a s300 sized from a 62-66mm

·
124 Posts
is the k31 pretty much the same as a s480. i heard of people running a k31 with a s300 sized from a 62-66mm
WAY different. 480 has 80mm inducer and no gate K31 has 71mm inducer and internal gate. both do rotate in the same direction and are nearly the same size (k31 is longer).

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How does your twins work for ya running an auto. I have a pr052 which is a 71mm comp wheel and its a little lagy. That is untill I get a higher stall converter. Then if I can get that to light nice I was thinkin about a s480 under that

·
124 Posts
Mine are a Turbonetics 66/12 ballbearing over a S480/1.10 w/race cover, and I run a 38mm E gate on top. I also have a ported head, helix2 cam, tunnelram, custom tubular intake horn, ect. I designed the set to support my mods with a tight converter and on a VP truck. It does spool well and it IS my daily driver and tow vehicle/farm truck so it cant be a pig.
With a loose converter and big chargers I would be concerned about running out of RPMs. A VP truck will only rev to about 4k so if your chargers lite @ 3200 you dont have much left. Mine lite @ 2100 so I still have 1/2 the tach to play in for shifting or whatever.
I was amazed at how many CR guys jumped on bullets over 480s and then were dumping them because they were so bad on the street. Just remember ANY turbo in compounds will lite slower than when a single. So if the 52 is laggy now, it will be a real pig as a top in twins. ;)

·
WHOS NEXT
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well has a single with the converter i have now she comes in around 1900-2100 or so rpms. id just wanna get her to light a little easier, so i was told a higher stall would get it done. if i could get it to light nice with a slightly higher stall( nothing stupid high) then i would consider doing it as a told for an s480. do you have pics of that intake you mentioned. i have been considering that a lot lately so i could port the intake side a lot better. i know shieds has one for $1600. and zz custom fab sells one too, however not sure on a price. id reall like to see yours. where did you get it and what did it cost if you dont mind me asking.

·
124 Posts
If the turbo lites @ 2100, then it lites @ 2100. The stall speed just will just make it easier for the motor to get there. To make the turbo lite at a lower RPM you must push the turbine faster sooner. So making and airflow improvements helps spool. start at the filter and make ANY improvement you can to the smooth flow of air to the engine and then out of it to the turbo. Also bear in mind that timing and fueling curves affect spool too.
The intake I have is a new cover plate for the stock or ZZ plenum and allows a better higher volume of air to get to all cylinders evenly.
here is a pic:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts