The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 int. 4700 low pro rollback with jerr-dan bed with a weak weak t444e slobering all over the place (238k) now the ecm went out. the ecm is $600.00 plus ya have to wait for one. and the engine drinks oil. so i went and bought and running and driving (150k miles) 1991 4900 cab and chassis with a strong dt466 with a 6 speed trans it. it has low gear and 6 more gears not sure which trans this is but it works great. i paid $3000.00 for it it is sitting on 6 new tires. i will be installing the complete drivetrain in my 95.my truck has the spicer 5 speed trans in it. both trucks are equiped with air conditioning. but questions are #1 are the rear end ratios going to be a problem ? my truck is sitting on 8r19.5 rubber the donor truck is rolling on 11r22.5 tires. question #2 is how does the tach work on both trucks? is this going to be a problem? #3 question how about the rest of the quages am i going to have a problem here? question #4 is my pto off of my 5 speed spicer going to fit this 6 speed trans? i know that i will have to cut out the firewall on my 95 and install the dog house of the 91 on to my cab. it will be alot of work but my 95 is real slick truck and drives great. i dont want to make payments on a new one so i am willing to do the work. ANY info will be much appreciated. any body with knowlege of corn binders please chime in THANKS!!!!!! :)

·
PB SHOP FOREMAN
97 Posts
first of all it sounds like the 91 444e would be easier to fix, you never told us the ratios that you are talking about. the transmission in the truck is called a 6 plus 1 that was a great transmission installed for that year. dont think the pto will fit, the tach works off dip switches on the back of the gauges. they used the same gauge cluster in the 4300 as they did in the 4700, however, the year model is going to be an issue. all you should have to do is change the dash and that problem is solved. the tires will not pose that big of a problem, setting the dip switches on the rear of the speedo gauge will take care of that. the 444e is not known for using alot of oil unless possibly the turbo is down, i dont believe that the 444 is as hurt as you think. just take the bolts out of the exhaust manifold and see if you have a wet hole, if so, change that head. its all hydraulic lift so it is not a hard engine to work on, i can give you some numbers to call to a great parts guy with alot of knowledge to help you with what ever parts you need.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
engine is worn out

no my engine is JUNK it had blowby pouring out of the blowby tube BAD slobering all over the place. in my opinion any electronic diesel engine is a bad design i dont like em. so the larger DT466 is going in it. :)

·
281 Posts
would it be easier to swap bodies?

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
There's just no comparison between a DT466 and a T444E.

You made a wise move. The DT466 is a proven strong workhorse used in heavy farm machinery. It's virtually bulletproof. The T444E is an economy diesel designed for lighter work and it's not an inframe rebuild engine, either. The DT466 is so easy & cheap for parts.

The Spicer 6+1 gets a bad rap. It's cheap to fix, plentiful and if it has the O/D gear, will fetch you another 10-15 MPH in top gear. I switched from a straight 5 to a 6+1 and it does what I want it to do. Now I can tell you, despite being an "ES" or "easy shift" transmission, it can get out of adjustment and simply refuse to go into gear. It's not an 8LL, by any means, but it's a decent trans. It's a little quirky is the best way to describe it, but if it's an OD model, you'll love the top gear for fuel savings and more road speed.

The gauges should be OK, as long as you use the DT466 sending units. The gauges from my 92 4800 are the same gauges as in your T444E truck, but the senders may be different. Your DT466 should have senders in it.

The gauge cluster should be the same between both trucks. If you give me your rear end ratio and tire size, I can give you your dip switch settings.

I'm not sure about the PTO, but a call to Muncie or whoever makes it should solve that problem.

Good luck and keep us updated.

·
46 Posts
I have a 1987 S series school bus that had a 6.9 with a 545 allison in it and I converted it over to a DT466 with a 643 allison. Also took out the small rear axle assy. and put in the 19.800 rear axle. and converted over to the new style hood. The frame was already drilled for different engines so I was able to take everything from one and it bolted right into the other. Take some measurements, you might have the same thing. The two engines have different top RPM's so you will need to get the ratio of both diff's and then calculate the speed of each truck with the tires they have on it at a certain RPM and then determine if the lower RPM DT will work with the current ratio on your truck. I'd say the without changing the tires or anything in the diff, you won't be going nearly as fast with the DT as you did with the 444. If you take the last 8 numbers of the vin to the Navistar dealer he can get you the ratios. Some times there is a line setting ticket glued to the air cleaner or some where on the truck that will give you that info if it is still readable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
R.e body swap

would it be easier to swap bodies?
no the 4900 is a tall profile truck and too long of a wheelbase and has a little rust on it. and i cant swap out the beds myself. i found another low-pro but a local firm wanted like 3 k to swap out my bed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
r.e engine swap

i am be going to pull the DT466 out this week and be installing some new gaskets and well as a waterpump and checking the clutch before i pull the other truck in and start on it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
r.e. changeover

I started pulling the 4900 apart i got the trans out of it the model # is ES065-7A serial # is j93011801 does anybody know if this is the overdrive or not? THANKS. :)

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Both transmissions are almost certainly Spicers, if so, the PTO should swap easily - just make SURE you check the shimming!

·
281 Posts
when you mount the pto on the trans, you can shim it out with the number of gaskets you put between pto and the trans. there should be an access cover you take of the pto and check the gear lash. the gear lash should fall within a certain spec and is altered by adding or removing gaskets.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
update.

i got both engines and transmissions out of both trucks. the 6 plus one is the o.d. version, got the new clutch installed on the 466, got the frame mounts and front engine crossmember installed into my 95, got the firewall cut out for the doghouse, got the new shifter hole cut out. going to be installing the engine and trans next. drive shaft will have to be fabed.it looks like i will have to install the dash wiring harness from the donor truck into my 95 because the tach works off of the camshaft position sensor on the 95 t44e and the 91 DT466 has the sensor on the bellhousing. more later. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update

got the engine and trans installed, droped off the driveshaft, took the radiator to the shop to get it checked, ordered a new engine block heater from I.H. i also took the 4900 seats to the upholstery shop to get them recovered. my 95 4700 had the bench seat, i like the spring ride buckets better.lots left to do.more later. :fan

·
Registered
1 Posts
update

got the engine and trans installed, droped off the driveshaft, took the radiator to the shop to get it checked, ordered a new engine block heater from I.H. i also took the 4900 seats to the upholstery shop to get them recovered. my 95 4700 had the bench seat, i like the spring ride buckets better.lots left to do.more later. :fan

So how much work was it to install the engine an transmission what cherry picker did you use etc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts