The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to get an intake for the truck. i already have cut the muffler out of the rear section of the exhaust, and have the basic sct livewire performance program in the truck.

my three choices are:

afe stage 2 pro dry or the pro-guard 7 with the new torque tube

airaid

s&b

i was hoping to stay away from the oiled filters, but that looks unavoidable. because of that i have both options for the afe up there. i also know that people have had better luck with the two latter choices as far as cel's go.

im just looking for opinions, good or bad, and what you all feel would be the best choice, for both power and mpg.

·
37 Posts
I am satisfied with my AFE stage II Pro guard 7 w/torque tube. It's not thrown any codes yet and I can actually here the turbos alittle now. I just don't know if there is any gain over the stock tube vs the torque tube. And I can't say it's really helped my mileage much because I had the reflash done right before and my mileage has actually dropped. GRRRRR! But I can tell an advantage in the acceleration department.

-Funkster-

·
Truck Toyz
653 Posts
See my post HERE about what I thought about the tube.

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #85
1,683 Posts
I got the airaid b/c I heard it didn't throw codes but mine throws code after regen but goes off the next day no issues truck runs awesome either way !

·
Registered
133 Posts
Funkster said:
I am satisfied with my AFE stage II Pro guard 7 w/torque tube. It's not thrown any codes yet and I can actually here the turbos alittle now. I just don't know if there is any gain over the stock tube vs the torque tube. And I can't say it's really helped my mileage much because I had the reflash done right before and my mileage has actually dropped. GRRRRR! But I can tell an advantage in the acceleration department.

-Funkster-
Funkster: you say that you can tell you have an advantage in acceleration; is that from a "seat of the pants" feel because the performance is that much greater or are you actually measuring it (or both)? I guess I am impressed when you can actually feel the difference...sounds like a great mod!

·
37 Posts
I can feel it from takeoff and definately more when I accelerate once I'm already moving. I guess more seat of the pants feel. And it's not because of the turbo being louder either. If I was going to buy an intake, I wouldn't be afraid of the AFE stage II w/torque tube. I know some guys say they can't tell a difference once they've added the "tube", but I wander if the tube will help from setting a CEL. And I'm assuming the tube helps make the turbo louder which is a definate plus for this ole farm boy! The only thing I noticed was that my oil breather tube wasn't like the one in their illistration. Mine had a "collar" on the end so it wouldn't go into the new torque tube without me trimming this off first. I've not heard anyone else mention this before, so it could be something on job 1 trucks only. Hope this helps.

-Funkster-

1 - 8 of 8 Posts