The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just bought an Edge juice with the Attitude for my 03' Dmax. Do I run the wires through the firewall or the door jam? (Or is there any other place that is better?) Also where do I mount the juice box?? Is it a good idea to mount it to the side of the fuse box?? And last but not least for the egt probe where is the best place on the exhaust to drill the hole and put it?? Thanks a bunch!

·
3,939 Posts
1) You can temporarily run the wires out the door jamb if you like. If you look at the firewall from in the engine bay, just under the brake booster you'll see a small dimple. It may be partially hidden by the felt sound deadener around the booster. You can drill a hole right there...it enters the cab to the left of the column..theres even a knockout on the interior rubber cover in that spot.
IIRC, I drilled a 1/2" hole, and used a rubber grommet.

2) I mounted the Edge box just under the fender support next to the fuse box. Good airflow up there (for cooling the box)

3) Best (easiest) spot to mount EGT probe is in the pass side manifold. Easy to get to with the wheel well liner removed. You can also mount it in the drivers side manifold, but the only spot is up under the manifold back toward the rear flange, just above the oil filter.

Use the Hoot Method and you'll have no problems.

·
TDG Mafia Member #82
1,092 Posts
Id definatley run the monitor wire through the fire wall.................the door opening and closing will cut the wire then you will be screwed big time!!!

·
188 Posts
I would think about installing your EGT probe after the turbo. It will extend the life of the probe and also when you drill the manifold all the swarf will go through the turbo. I have also seen probes break and that would eat a turbo quite well. Just a thought.

·
TDG Mafia Member #82
1,092 Posts
jetmech said:
I would think about installing your EGT probe after the turbo. It will extend the life of the probe and also when you drill the manifold all the swarf will go through the turbo. I have also seen probes break and that would eat a turbo quite well. Just a thought.

Nahhh you dont want to do this!!! Keep it as close to the head as you can.....It may work for some people but its not a very accurate reading!!!!

·
188 Posts
It can actually be more accurate. the left and right exhaust manifolds flow different so if one bank is running lean and your only monitoring the other you wont catch it in time.

·
129 Posts
Another suggestion for a Pre-turbo EGT probe. There is a 300-500*F Temperature difference in Pre and Post turbo temps. That is not accurate enough for me when we are talking about $10k engine. When the probe is installed pre turbo the reading is much more accurate and responeds to the temperature quicker.

Jamie

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.