The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm preparing to change my Motorcraft Gold coolant to the CAT ELC Red coolant, so I'll be doing a complete cooling system flush.

During the flush procedure, I plan to drain the block by removing the drain plugs located on each side of the block. The driver side plug (from what I've read) is easy to get to. However, the passenger side plug appears to be obstructed by the starter.

Questions:

Can the passenger side plug be removed with the starter in-place?

How difficult is it to remove & replace the starter?

If the starter has to be removed, is there any danger of getting coolant and/or water inside the flywheel area?

·
9 Posts
From other forums

Most people these days recomend the elc or the cat1 type coolants, frankly I think a good coolant filter and changeing coolant every 50k miles is more important than the type coolant altho I have a partialityality to the cat class coolants as they have better corrison chemicals properties. In my book anyways.

·
410 Posts
Why not just flush it a couple times with water. Is it necessary to remove the drain plugs in the block? By the way I have Cat ELC in my big truck with 885,000 miles and no pitting, electrolysis, or other coolant issues.

·
381 Posts
:happymugs:stiringIt's no wonder you don't have any electrolicis(I wish I could spell electrolisis). Your eng. is just now getting broke in.I I used to work on heavy equip. at many different sand pits in Otown, & elc is what I always used. Still do, in my 7.3, wife's caprice, & my f800 service truck. No problems to my knowledge. :D---Bob

·
68 Posts
The reason for the block drain plugs is that there are low points in the block that hold a lot of coolant. For a complete flush and especially if changing over to another type of coolant you don't want those couple of gallons of a different spec to be left in the block. You must also use distilled water only for flushing and a 50/50 coolant water mix when refilling. Two different types coolant mix can ruin your engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts