The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Let it rip tator chip!
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinkin of takin off my stock wastegate and doin a little work on it i heard of drillin it out for cooler EGT'S and i was thinkin of weldin or somehow shuttin the flap to have constance boost or would that be a bad thang?

i know yourll talk bout pre or post on a turbo with the probe is the pre the first 3 cylinders and post is the 3 in the back

but holler back and see what yourll think? thanks:thumbsup

·
2,063 Posts
Drilling the divider out allows both sides of the exhaust manifold to vent thru the wastegate. And that is a good thing.

Please do not weld the wastegate closed, I like to say keep the boost below 32 psi with a HX35 but you can go as high as 35 before it goes off the map and that also depends on altitude. You can add a boost elbow to get the boost higher but you will want the wastegate to be able to open to control back pressure, turbine speed, and drive pressure.

Pre turbo is before the turbo in the exhaust flow and Post turbo is after the turbo.

·
Let it rip tator chip!
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
got a boost elbow theres no limit on pounds got a better air system S&B filter but the most im gettin is 25 maybe 27psi roughly but also too get too much its like you said itll go off the map and probably blow a HG and have a gernade in the hood too

and it would probably be better to have it at pre-turbo right?

·
3,514 Posts
The hx35 map actually goes up to about 47lbs at sea level. However... It can only move enough air at that boost level to sustain about 1100RPM. Take it down to 29lbs, and you can supply enough air for about 2300rpm. At least that is based on the map that I have.

Drilling out the wastegate will help to reduce exhaust temps, and better control boost pressure. You can also safely machine the wastegate opening to 38mm (some go as far as 40mm) By doing this, you will effectively give yourself 4x the wastegate volume. But by that time, you will need more on the compressor side of the equation.
Sean

·
Let it rip tator chip!
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ol ok so like on the compressor side you would probably get a compressor and maybe a better incooler right am i makin no sense?

·
3,514 Posts
I'm saying that by the time you need a 38mm wastegate, the compressor wheel of an hx35 won't supply that kind of air. And you would at least need a 60mm comp wheel.
For your fueling, I would take the back plate off, and drill through the divider. That will help better control egt's and drive pressure.
Sean

·
Let it rip tator chip!
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gotcha! and thanks ya guys for all the info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts