The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Joe Boyer
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the next week or so I am buying a 99 f 350 Powerstroke. What I know is it has the stock down pipe with a four inch tail pipe, an intake and a 75 hp chip dont know what kind. I was just hoping for some advice on how to get more power and some things that are just good to know about these motors.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
what is the build date? try to find out if its an early or late 99 they made the 99 for two years you could buy a 99 in jan 98 so if it was made after 2/99 its a late more power better upgrades avialable

·
Registered
394 Posts
If its an early 99 it will have the powerstroke fender badges... This plays a huge roll in deciding what parts to buy

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
cumminsdieselfr said:
If its an early 99 it will have the powerstroke fender badges... This plays a huge roll in deciding what parts to buy
not true all of the 99's were badged differently depending on options look at the mfg date on the door. hey cummins guy dont give out bad info if your not sure dont post up

·
Supporting Vendor
484 Posts
The first step would be to ditch the 75 horse chip and get setup w/ a Selectable chip from DP Tuner, or TS performance or something that can shift on the fly and will have the big tune in the 140 HP range. The other basics would be to get a 4" down pipe, and a cold air intake. Is the truck an auto or a manual? Let me know if I can help.

Dave

·
Registered
394 Posts
camojeeper said:
not true all of the 99's were badged differently depending on options look at the mfg date on the door. hey cummins guy dont give out bad info if your not sure dont post up
Show me an early 99 without fender badges!

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
what the stupi little v8 powerstroke badge in the front or under the f250 350 etc?

·
Registered
394 Posts
The odds are very slim to have an early 99 with door badges, i have never seen one in person

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
there out there it just depends on the style and options pkg of the truck my neighbor has one 11/98 mfg date

·
Registered
394 Posts
camojeeper said:
there out there it just depends on the style and options pkg of the truck my neighbor has one 11/98 mfg date
I agree i just didnt word my post right.. My bad.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
no problem
to joey buy it get a dp tuner and we'll help you build it right
steve

·
Levi
115 Posts
if your looking for more power your also going to want to look at gauges better safe then sorry... plus they look cool:sly: ... but for info on power your at the right place these guys/and girls know alot about it...

·
Joe Boyer
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone

how else could i find when it was made because the sticker aint there its obvious the the drivers fender and door was repainted it has a fiber glass hood with scoops too. kinda fishy ehh. Also I am buy it off of my brother who has looked hard for the chip and never found it he thinks it might be like a superchip and we dont have the box to change it. Could I get it wiped out at a shop and start over. Also he bought the truck after his friend got an 02. The 02 with a super chip at the 110 setting and a complete 4 in exhaust could not keep up with this 99. The guys at Zimmys (the local diesel shop here) said it may have injectors. How could i tell if they are different or are superchips not that great. Thanks again guys!
ps it has isspro boost pyro and tranny temp guages

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
thats good that it has the gauges do you have the vin # if you do you can ask for an oasis report http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97
this will tell you every thing from build date to where it was sold and any warrenty work that was done. as for the chip if it is a hard chip it would be under the dash driver side its a black box by the e brake remove the black plastic cover there is a plug and if it has a chip you will know then if it has a programer dont worry just have jody over at dp tuner build you an f-5 chip good luck i hope this helps ya
steve

·
Joe Boyer
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so will this f-5 clear it if it is a tuner i mean im not going to be stacking chips and tuners and all that am i. also it is a late 99 automatic trans. the 18k+ mod is that the thing with the resistor if so does it do anything. and i found a 4 in down pipe is it worth buying. the idi was so simple to me now.
thanks

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
first talk to jody @ dp tuner 2nd the 18 k is the same thing as the resiter its just a bit nicer and more adjustable and last for exhaust i run www.mkopower.com there 5" is killer why have 4 when you can have 5" and last i to miss my idi7.3 exept when i mash the go pedal and the powerstroke violenty forces you back in your seat then i dont miss it any more or those god damn return line leaks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts