The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded my 6.0L for an 08 that's stock, my other truck had 4" turbo back, with no converter and a Silverline catback. I really liked the looks and sound of that setup. So I've been looking at doing a tune, exhaust and intake for this truck and it's alot more expensive, so it won't real soon, but I'm just interested in what it is I need. Now can you get by with the factory downpipe to a DPF/CAT delete then to a filter back exhaust? Or do you need an aftermarket downpipe too? What about the S&B intake system for like $269, is that a decent setup?

·
Chirpin Tires...
1,402 Posts
Yes that will work just fine. You dont have to get the downpipe, it is a big improvement but it is not necassary. Cant go wrong with S&B either.

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, so it wouldn't be a sin to run it like that with maybe the 175 or 210 spartan tune? Also what's the rundown on Flow-Pro exhaust, is anyone running that?

·
1,415 Posts
I run 275 spartan with stock filter and the flow pro exhaust was very easy to install.

·
105 Posts
All of my buddys have the flo pro exhaust and love it. Ive never had a s&b intake but I havent heard bad things about it. I have the afe and i love it. I think the only difference is the price and you may get a little more quality with afe but im not sure on that. And you shouldnt hafta worry about a new downpipe unless your just absolutely wanting to be top of the line and race with it. What programmer you gonna run with it?

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well it looks like hands down Spartan for the tuner, for the 6.0L it was SCT custom tune, but seems like Spartan has taken over the 6.4l world. I'm not used to driving a stock truck and it's a hell of a differance after driving one tuned for 4years, it's no comparison. Man I read that these trucks burned fuel but damn I didn't realize it was this bad, you watch the needle drop ever couple miles you drive. I could ride forever on fuel with the ol 6.0L but this thing is like the V10 with 6.5"lift and 36inch heavy swampers I used to have. I love the truck it's more comfortable and rides alot better than the leafsprings, I love how quiet it is, but I've got to do something about the fuel mileage. Does everybody run straight thru to a muffler or all the way straight out? How about size is 4" okay or is 5" better? How loud are they straight piped? I know I've got alot of questions, but nobody around here even has these trucks much less with tune and exhaust.

·
95 Posts
For sure you will want to do the tuner and DOC/DPF delete. Anything above that is up to you. Lots will say there is no performance gain with the aftermarket filter. I have an S&B intake. I like the fact that you can clean it instead of changing an expensive filter. The exhaust from the delete back I don't see as needed. I left mine stock. The downpipe on the 6.4 is no where near as bad as the 6.0. I may do one but as of now haven't. You will miss the sound of the 6.0, the 6.4 sounds way different after the mods. If you read on here you will hear talk of the "hairdrier sound". That is a good description. All in all I like the new truck better than the old. Good luck and have fun.:happymugs

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
You wont need a 5" exhaust. the ID on the down pipe is less then 4". So 5" is a waste of money. Just looks.

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sounds good alot of good info for me to go on, just personally I'll probably do a filter back because I don't like the looks of the factory exhaust, the single with 5" tip looks nice. Hopefully this spring I'll be able to get everything I want, is there anyone else running a tune and exhaust with the stock filter? Oh yea, what about a muffler, are they okay straight piped or too loud? Whats everbody doing with the muffler?

·
I Eat Rice
2,155 Posts
quite a few. If your going to up the tune to over 210. I would recomend getting a drop in replacement filter. The bigger tunes have a tendency to suck in the filter minder when heavy with the right foot.

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds like I'll be okay with the $70 replacement AFE filter, tuner, cat/dpf delete, and a filter back exhaust then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts