The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the long winded post, but here we go. I have an 06 with 180k on it. It has been flawless. Never missed a beat. I recently saw some moisture in the intake. So, I replaced the oil cooler and installed a BPD EGR cooler along with a blue spring upgrade and cleaned the turbo while it was out. Everything came apart and went back together great. No issues any where. After the second day being back together, it started to run rough, along with whiff of blue-ish smoke from time to time. I climbed all over it looking for something unhooked or not plugged all the way in. The only thing I could find was the rearward most plug on the FICM may not have been seated. Remedied that and still have the same symptoms. After a short drive, I hooked up my MAC scan tool and got a PO281 code, cyl #7 contribution fault. I cleared the code to see if I could make it reset and it hasn't, thus far. I'm kinda lost as to which way to look? Dirty IPR screen from the oil cooler removal? I'm gonna have to check FICM volts with a meter, my scanner doesn't recognize that. Any help would be appriciated!

·
3,051 Posts
Most likely cyl#7 injector issue, passenger side 3rd one back....contribution fault is usually a failed or failing injector.

ScanGaugeII will read FICM main power...should be 47-49v...but if your FICM was failing it would likey throw several injector circuit fault codes.

I assume you changed the oil after all the work, recommend running a 10w30 or 5w40.

Archoil AR9100 can help too if it's injector stiction related.

If the injector is failing on the fuel side of things, could be oring or combustion seal related, or just worn pintle and nozzle.

The blue smoke would be oil, turbo seal or washed cylinder from fuel.

Could be the blue spring upgrade surfaced a weak injector due to the increase in fuel pressure.

If you get the same contrubution fault for #7 again, then I would look at that injector or replace it. It can take a day or two to reset the fault code.

Harry

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have mentioned that i have been running Archoil and T-6 religiously. I did wonder if possibly the blue spring upgrade did show a weak injector? Thanks for the input.

Reactions: harry6.0

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, not at the moment. I'm going to unplug the #7 injector and see if it makes any difference. Kinda having to poor-boy it at the moment!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts