The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, I hope someone can help me out with this. After much reading here tdg, I have decided to go with a dp tuner for my 97 psd (see signature). My question is, will my stock tranny and turbo be ok with the 120hp setting as long as I don't drive it on that setting all the time.

Thanks

P.S the truck has 150,000 miles on it

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
depends on the condition of the tranny now, also if its in 120 and your not rompin on it then it should be ok, but if your gettin on it, it will slip

·
61 Posts
You will not get more than 60hp+- without getting bigger inj so that 120 setting is just marketting hype and someone should have told ya that.

No worries with a stock trans.

Cary

·
TDG Mafia #76
2,542 Posts
As has already been said, if your trans is already on it's last leg, then it won't take much to finish it off. You will have a hard time overspooling your stock charger with stock injectors; they can't flow enough fuel to do much damage.

As has also been said, you're not going to get 120 horsepower out of that setting on stock injectors; you probably won't see any more than 60-80 without injector upgrades. However, it will still wake the truck up!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all of the help

·
38 Posts
ive got a new stock clutch in my truck and im plannin on going with a dp tuner as well and i was wonderin how well the clutch will hold up to it.

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
a dp will slip a stock clutch get a south bend

·
1,726 Posts
If your truck happens to be a California emissions 97 then you would have larger injectors. It will make quite a bit more power than the typical 94 to 97 trucks with just a chip.

When you give DP the computer code they will be able to tell you if it is a Cali truck. You will still may be ok with a stock transmission but keep in mind that the trany can go south on even a stock truck. It has a lot to do with how you drive it.

I had stage 1 injectors in my truck making 346 hp for a year and a half and now have even bigger injectors and still have the stock tansmission. I will be upgrading soon though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts