The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys ive had my 12 valve a little over 2 years and im lookin into installin some governor springs. right now at WOT with the coverter locked in overdrive im spinnin right at 2600. id really like for that to be somewhere between 3000 and 3200. basically i want it to rev higher from takeoff and have a faster top end speed. :D should i go with 4000 gsk or 3000 gsk. any input would be greatly appreciated guys,thanks

·
off to another home
15,472 Posts
if he's not going to run 60lb springs to avoid valve float then run it a little loose so its not set for 4k. same how i ran 5k springs but had them set around 4k.

Garrett

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update: tightened governor springs 3 clicks. i got the revs i wanted but it wont idle below about 950-975ish.. any suggestions?

·
gone fishin!
2,833 Posts
back of a click... did you replace all the springs in the pack? are both studs protruding the same? if one side is to tight, some times the wont idle or take a load at idle......

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no sir, i just tightened up the stock springs 3 clicks. i was worried i would have idle issues when i did it from what i read on here, and my worries were confirmed, she wouldnt idle down. so im gonna pull it back apart and back them off one click and see what happens. thanks man, ill keep ya updated.

·
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i pulled it back apart sunday and backed em off a click, and im in good shape now. ive got good power to about 2700-2800ish and im idlin in neutral around 850. she pulls alot harder and its great. im ready to build one to turn around 4500 and see how she pulls lol

thanks guys for all your input :wave

·
2,063 Posts
I wish you good luck with turning rev's that high, if you really want to rev that high you should get better valve springs, and rebalance the engine and add a cam, and....

·
gone fishin!
2,833 Posts
all you need for 5K is a bottom girdle and big springs,retainers,and stiffer rockers...... will work for short bursts at 4500-5000 rpm for a while.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts