The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i called spartan today cause i was gonna buy a used tuner with a 310 hp program.....spartan told me in order to do this i need to pay 325 for a relisence,this would only give me back to the 250 hp tune...then i would need to spend 300 to upgrade to 275 tune then another 100 to upgrade to 310 tune....

is this how these things work?

·
215 Posts
Forget used...

Just buy new as there is no savings, the Dash Daq might as well be free because all the tunes are licensed to a particular VIN. Not to mention you would have to upgrade the software anyways.

Think about it as software (which it is), you need a license for each machine running windows. Despite the fact you have the disk the 25 character key is $139. Same concept with the Spartan just no ones pirating spartan software.

Yes I am aware you can load a single key to three machines and avoid MS, however they are getting smarter...

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
so i called spartan today cause i was gonna buy a used tuner with a 310 hp program.....spartan told me in order to do this i need to pay 325 for a relisence,this would only give me back to the 250 hp tune...then i would need to spend 300 to upgrade to 275 tune then another 100 to upgrade to 310 tune....

Yes, that is how it works. To re-license a tuner, it is $325.00 (assuming the unit was returned to stock). $300 is for a level 2 license, which gives you the 275 race tune. $400 is for a level 3 license, which gives you: 275, 300, 310, and all of the EGR delete tunes (11 total tunes + what you already have).

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so for the prices guys are selling them for on here its cheaper to get new seeing even if they have the 310 tune when spartan unlocks it they will only have the 250 tune anyway

·
215 Posts
so for the prices guys are selling them for on here its cheaper to get new seeing even if they have the 310 tune when spartan unlocks it they will only have the 250 tune anyway
Most of the time!

Spartan sells the tuner and 13 tunes for $1249, a used unit will cost $325 on top of what they are charging. So assuming you pay less than $924 it's cheaper to buy used.

However most of these guys are charging with the description of unlocked to 310, which is $700 on top of the used price.

What these guys should be saying is "Used Dashdaq, capable of loading Spartan tunes" Because it doesn't matter what they had you have to buy them anyways. If you found a used DashDaq for $400 I think it would be worth they effort. Otherwise the hassle is worth calling Spartan or Rudy and dealing with them directly, one time buy and fully updated.

That is just my opinion.

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I.agree.....everyone is selling on here like u get the tunes they have and u don't....they all want 550 or more used......so.550 plus 325 to unlock and 400 to.upgrade tunes ur paying more then new

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
I.agree.....everyone is selling on here like u get the tunes they have and u don't....they all want 550 or more used......so.550 plus 325 to unlock and 400 to.upgrade tunes ur paying more then new
A new tuner with a level 3 license would be $1649.00.

·
497 Posts
This is the only thing that turned me off about the Spartan. Very good reviews on it but spendy :( I went with the H&S minimax just my 02 cents.

·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spartan claims to be untraceable for warranty work....no code thrown inside computers....h&s have same guarentee?

·
27 Posts
spartan lost 2 more sales to me because of this,I wear out and trade in trucks to often,so the last 2 I went with H&S.Spartan shouls at least give a good break on the tune pakage you already have,when you trade trucks

·
142 Posts
Spartan claims to be untraceable for warranty work....no code thrown inside computers....h&s have same guarentee?
No company will guarantee it is untraceable.

·
Spartan Diesel Tech
969 Posts
No company will guarantee it is untraceable.
Which is why we say that is possible, but very unlikely it will be found.

A Ford diesel tech buddy of mine hooked his IDS up to my truck one time while my truck was tuned and he couldn't find anything. LOL

·
55 Posts

It is not how things work, it is how spartan works.

Call H&S and they will get you what you need for your truck. The process will be easier on you and your wallet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts