The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the Pitman arm and trailing link to fit the oil pan of my Deutz F5L 912 into my 1984 Ford F150. Is this done in lift kits all the time and just use te adjustments to take up the slack? Any recommendations?

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did a lot of research on Deutz. They are very reliable and fuel efficient. There are many instances of them running 20,000 hours. They are easy to overhaul, being modular in design and they have been used in commercial trucks in Europe for years - in the Magirus/Iveco. There are millions of Deutz running in cold and hot and dirty inhospitable environments all over the world. They also are not fussy about fuel and will run on any thing that looks like fuel oil. AGFR has been running his on straight crude oil for years and years. On the down side, they are different to work on: everything is very precise and they can be aggravating because there is little room for error. When everything is right they start easy in extreme cold temperatures.

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Sorry, don't mean to sound defensive. This is a hard conversion so far. Seems like have had trouble with more than usual. For example the old style aluminum fiberglass injector seals were stuck inside the heads and I scarred the seats getting them out and had to find a 21 mm endmill and make a fixture to hold it and recut the seats. Otherwise I was looking at a $1500 top end. Worked out alright in the end and I found a tool that helps get out stuck seals for the future. Working on this engine is a real growth experience. It's so precise for example that an SAE 1/2 inch socket will not fit on a 13mm bolt or nut in many cases. First time I've run into that!

I figured out how to fix my oil pan problem. I have my Deutz shop looking for a pan that has a rear sump, or a pan that can be altered to work, or I'm gonna have one made - simple as that. This engine is going into that truck1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts