The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so here’s the deal, a couple of months back I bought a warn 16.5ti winch for my 2006 F250. When I first tried it out it would overheat quickly and it didn’t even have enough power to pull the truck on level ground in neutral, so I sent it in under warranty and they replaced the motor. They told me it was arching and needed to be replaced. When I got it back I initially tested it out on our car (3,000lbs) on pavement and it seemed to do fine. I then tried it on the truck (8600lbs), which was in neutral, but with the parking brake on. Unfortunately, it won’t pull it. :swear If I take the parking brake off it pulls it, but it seems strained. The battery and winch both read 12.6v’s so it looks like power is getting to the winch ok. I’m wondering if the alternator can’t keep up? It’s only 110amp, which I would think is small for a diesel with two batteries. I have tried it after fully charging the batteries, tried another remote, and tried applying power directly to the winch motor, but I always get the same results. I was told it could also be the solenoids, but I would think that if one or more of those didn’t work, it would just click, right?

The whole ordeal has been a pain, and I don’t know whether to buy a larger alternator, or call warn again. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

·
572 Posts
connections and cables? I have a Warn 12k on my truck and it will pull it on rocky dry ground with all 4 wheels locked up and the steering wheel all the way to one side. Easily.

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's exactly what I would expect out of mine. Based on another conversation I called Warn up and they thought there might be a problem with the controller pack. They are shipping me a new one and I'll see if that takes care of the problem. Although, the rep did say it could be the motor even though it was already replaced. :bash

All I want is to get it resolved so that I have something I can count on.

Thanks for the reply! I'll post the results soon...

·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just an update: I installed the new controller pack and the winch pulls like a champ. Must have been the solenoids or some type short in the wiring. I'm just glad it's fixed. :guitar

Thanks for the help!

Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts