The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 F250 lariat two wheel drive. Thursday I took my truck to a wheel alignment center and asked to have the front wheels aligned. I had gotten the wheels rotated and tried to short on the alignment well that didnt work cause my truck is pulling hard left. So I leave my truck at this place for two hours and go back to pick it up. When i ask the lady how much i owe she says nothing today and hands me a parts list adding up to 850 dollars. I get to talk to the guy that worked on my truck and he tells me that the only thing good in my steering is the steering column and steering gear. He also added that this is a common problem with 250s. Im not to truck smart but ive seen 250s on the farm with close to 200000 miles on them with no problems, My truck is a street truck and only 90000 miles on it. So im calling shennanigans and taking it to a different place in the morning.
Is the steering a common problem? Do i need to get myself ready to spend 1500 bucks or more?:splat

·
313 Posts
I'm not sure about that being a common problem actually this is the first im hearning about something like this. I have 55,270 miles on mine and never had a problem like that. Sorry I couldnt be more help

·
Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Let me guess . . .

ball joints?

Common problem in PSDs.

You can do them yourself, but if you really aren't mechanically inclined (not "truck minded" to quote you) you'll likely pay between $800 and $1500 based on the nature of what's gone wrong under there.

prt

·
Breaks stuff
1,941 Posts
Yeah, ball joints are a common problem. Also the shudder-shock, but not on an '03. If the trac bar wasn't regularly greased, it'll be quick to cause problems too. There are all kinds of complications that can arise with steering. But all of them at once? Not unless the truck was wrecked, or hasn't been properly maintained. Do you have any more info that you can give, like a parts list, or did you actually get to look at the old parts?

·
356 Posts
I replaced my Ball Joints at around 80K miles and that is all that I have done. I now have 130K with no front end issues. Ball joints are common because they are not able to be greased. I would recommend letting someone else do the job if you aren't mechanically inclined but if you do decide to tackle the job make sure you get the best ball joints available.

Scott

·
Registered
415 Posts
ball joints and sway bar links are a very common or deal on all psd your lucky you got 90k out of it

·
what's egt mean ??
586 Posts
i've got 70k, and the only problems i've had are an intermittent loss of powersteering.. it's happened on random occasions about 4 times all together, but it was during a 2 month period, and hasn't happened in almost a year...

the track bar does make a lot of noise though when i drive.

·
62 Posts
Seeing how you have a 2wd, you don't have a track bar. Check the drag link that connects to the pitman arm on the gearbox. Have someone sit in the truck and turn the wheel a quarter turn side to side. Lay on the ground and watch the steering linkage joints. If any have play in and out before the linkage moves side to side then those are bad. Most common is the drag link that bolts to the pitman arm. To check the ball joints jack up one side of the front of the truck from the place where the i-beam and radius arm meet. Only lift the tire about 1-2 inches. Place a pry bar under the tire and life up and release. If any movement in ball joints is noticed then they need to be replaced. Check the other side using the same method. Going by just your mileage I would say it probably needs ball joints and at least the long drag link (the one that bolts to the pitman arm).

You can sometimes rent a ball joint press from the do it yourself auto parts store. However you will still need an alignment after the work is done. Book labor is 5.9 hours for all four ball joints. All four tie rods/drag links is 1.7 hours. Plus alignment. Times come from Motor labor est book.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys took the truck to a wheel alignment center yesterday. They are suppose to be the best around this area. Had the guys check it out and they replaced the tie rod ends and the drag link. thats alot better than the guy telling me he had to replace all the steering 850 dollars worth of parts alone.

·
TDG Single Club Member#14
1,086 Posts
Heck i just bought 200 bucks worth of ball joints today so it dont take long to get up there, and that was my cost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts