The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a post in another section about a need for airbags for my dads truck.

The problem we are having is as follows:

His truck is a 2008 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 CC SB with the Duramax engine.

The toyhauler is a KZ Sportsmen Sportster with a:
GVWR of : 13,740lb
GAWR of : 7,000lb
Leland Engineering Hitch that says it has a GVWR of 16,000lb

And since he has a short bed, instead of going with a slider hitch he bought a standard 5th wheel hitch with an RV5 King Pin Ten Inch extension, and it looks like it drops the connection point around 5".

When the truck is unloaded the measurement from the front fender is 42" and the measurement on the rear fender is 42" as well.

When loaded the front fender is 41 1/2" and the rear is 38 1/2".

When hooked up, the front of the trailer is 25 1/2" of the ground and the rear is 19".

The leaf springs look like they are almost straight. He has Michelin LTX/AT P275/60R20 tires (maxload 2601lbs) with Motosport Alloy Rims with NO leveling kit. (We are looking at getting one, unsure which way he should go)

What do you think we need to do to address these problems? DONT say buy another truck, not in the picture. Could he add a few more leaf springs and airbags and be OK?

Need responses quick!!

Thanks.

·
Old Fart
889 Posts
Your drop from unloaded to loaded is about 4 inches. The air bags can easily handle that. No need to add springs that will make the truck ride rougher.

Dave

·
1,224 Posts
Have you weighed rear axle on truck with trailer hooked up?

I bet your tires are overloaded:eek:. 2601lbs/tire = 5202 lbs max load on rear axle. You will need heavier ply tires to handle the load.

Also like dbennett said, air bags will easily level out the truck loaded and then you can reduce air pressure when empty to restore factory ride. I put Firestone bags on mine for the same reason.

Reactions: CANYONBIKER

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Air bags are great for towing, I fun the pac brake bags and love them. But as Dodgefarmer said I would check to make sure the tires are the correct ply for a load that big.

Reactions: CANYONBIKER

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I figured the tires weren't going to be sufficient. They were on there when he bought the truck. Since tires have been so high he hasn't wanted to go about purchasing any new ones, looks like it is about time.

So Firestone Bags sound like a winner? What about new tires? This truck is used strictly for daily driving and towing. It does see some winter use but usually in town but will occasionally be driven out in the sticks.

It is driven by a 50 year old so nothing aggressive lol.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
I run michelins ltx at2s i would look into those for the proper load range given the loads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts