The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was watching the video and caught a glimpse of the oil cap. Also, if you listen to the verbage it says "WITH AN EXCLUSIVE NEW FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM." If they are using piezo injectors like the 6.4L Power Stroke than that means something else is different... we just may have a very powerful and efficient diesel on our hands and we don't know it yet. I don't think it's going to be anything like the 6.4 and I think it is going to be way more powerful than we are all imagining. Just my $0.02. - J

·
Official blowy uppy guy.
1,546 Posts
its using not a cp3, but some new cp4 I think the pressure that it puts out is above 30k psi whereas the old cp3's were around 28k max.

·
2,710 Posts
10W-30 in a diesel ? LOL ...

Well they did start this whole 5w-20 in V8 pickup trucks... LOL

Amsoil dose offer a 10-30 diesel oil so its possible...

I don't see it living long on that thin oil :haha

I only run the recommended grade oil for the first 12K-15K miles then flush it out and Pour in some heavy duty AMSOIL.

Mike

·
2,126 Posts
10W-30 in a diesel ? LOL ...

Well they did start this whole 5w-20 in V8 pickup trucks... LOL

Amsoil dose offer a 10-30 diesel oil so its possible...

I don't see it living long on that thin oil :haha

I only run the recommended grade oil for the first 12K-15K miles then flush it out and Pour in some heavy duty AMSOIL.

Mike
Old ways of thinking IMO. My mustang that runs 5-20 gets ran hard all the time still purs right along. I see no reason to run a heavier oil if its not needed. Probably lose performance/mpg by switching.

·
1,415 Posts
if you look at some charts for oil 5-30 oil protect to a higher temp then 10-30 does. it holds its viscosity alot better, so thinner can be better.

·
2,710 Posts
Could be I gotta deal with obsolete technology as that's what I drive...

Mike

·
1,415 Posts
i had the same problem till i got ahold of a 6.0 Leaker and they hated the old oils. just by changing the type of oil i used i got less fuel in the oil and started way easier.

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
no high pressure oil pump so the sheer rate of the motor oil has greatly dissipated with the 6.4 vs the 6.0 so the heavy oil is no longer really needed.

·
2,710 Posts
I'm not saying it won't work
I use oil pressure n oil temperatures to monitor my engine oils performance and in my old bones the heavier oils work best...

I just hear a lot of them 5.4s with lifters chattering...

While the 5.4 in my work truck runs smooth n silent !

Its been running 10-40 all winter n 20-50 all summer.
Same as the vortec 8100...

Maybe cause its synthetic ?

Both trucks Run fine.

My FL70s 8.3 CTD gets 15-40 syn all winter n SAE60 all summer along with the sterlings 6.7 CTD...

Thos run great.

My relics below all get the 60w year round...

Mike

·
HalfAst Racing
456 Posts
I'm not saying it won't work
I use oil pressure n oil temperatures to monitor my engine oils performance and in my old bones the heavier oils work best...

I just hear a lot of them 5.4s with lifters chattering...

While the 5.4 in my work truck runs smooth n silent !

Its been running 10-40 all winter n 20-50 all summer.
Same as the vortec 8100...

Maybe cause its synthetic ?

Both trucks Run fine.

My FL70s 8.3 CTD gets 15-40 syn all winter n SAE60 all summer along with the sterlings 6.7 CTD...

Thos run great.

My relics below all get the 60w year round...

Mike
the overhead cammed 5.4s and 4.6s run that thinner oil for a reason.cold startup with 20w50 and the cams dont see oil for minutes.ive seen plenty of scored cams from running the wrong viscosity oils.as bill said,with the 6.4 and 6.7-no hpop and no shearing,plus more controlled combustion loads the cranks easier.time will tell if its true. older diesels with mechanical injection slam the crank hard and dillute oil with fuel,which requires heavy oil.my 6.0 is fine with the 5w40syn so 10w30s not too far fetched,but are they recomending syn or dino?

·
2,710 Posts
The 5.4 n 8.1 get 10-40 in the cold season.

Once temps drop to 60*F n below I switch to 10-40 syn from 70*F and above I run 20-50 syn...

every other year my engines get inspected compression tests valve adjustment check ect n so along.
They been getting clean bill of health every time...

Mike

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
The greater the difference between the higher and lower oil viscosity numbers the less OIL is in there.

10W-20, 10W-30, 10W-40 are all the SAME WEIGHT OIL! The only difference is how much Viscosity Improver (VI) is added, higher weights have more VI and therefore room for less base stock (10W) in each Qt. 10W-40 won't thin as much as 10W-30 at operating temps, but it doesn't lubricate ANY better either because VIs don't provide ANY lubricative qualities at all.

The Ford GT spec is 5W-20, 500 HP, 500 LB with a Supercharger! Many modern turbo cars use 5W-20 as well, so 10W-30 will be just fine, especially when you consider the HUGE improvements in oil over the past 20+ years.

·
Bodyman
237 Posts
I'm working on a chrysler crossfire right now that takes mobil 1 0w-30. I had never heard of that before.

·
2,126 Posts
I'm working on a chrysler crossfire right now that takes mobil 1 0w-30. I had never heard of that before.
I think Porsche Turbo's take 0-50 or something.

If they don't provide anymore lubricating qualities then whats the point of running higher? (eg 10-40 instead of 10-20)

·
2,710 Posts
I don't know all i noticed its my Oil pressure was more stable less fluctuation from hot to cold or idling to revving . . .

from 5w-20dino to 10w-40syn I noticed an oil temperature drop of 25*F and water temp drop of 5*F. . .

then in the summer the 20w-50syn would run another 5*F cooler oil temp then the 10-40syn. . .

just my experience on the 2 gas engined work trucks 2 different trucks with 2 different engines. . .

I noticed similar results in my diesel work trucks as well !

the biggest difference notice was in my Collectors & Performance vehicles when comparing OEM grade n weight Conventional oil to the Heavier weight high performance synthetic oils. oil temps dropping as much as 75*F water temps dropping 6-10*F and an extra 8-12psi oil pressure increase. . . which in vintage performance & vintage Industrial engines is a good thing :thumbsup

:slap the engine builder of the vintage trucks n performance cars below also recommended the heavier synthetic oils ;)

Mike

Reactions: Jeremiah

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
0W-40 5W-40 10W-40 15W-40

All that matters is the 40 part. It is 40 weight oil but flows as if it were: 0W 5W 10W 15W.
Um, no.

The "40 part" applies to the apparent kinematic viscosity at 100*C (212*F) and not in any way to the protective qualities of the oil.

0W-40, 5W-40, 10W-40 and 15W-40 are all DIFFERENT oil base stocks, the only thing they have in common is their "viscosity" at normal operataing temps.

Reactions: Jeremiah

·
Banned
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
M123KT-450 , Thanks for the good info dude. :thumbsup

·
2,710 Posts
No problem...

I was trying to figure out if the heavier oils were really protecting less then the oil temperatures would have gotten hotter not colder...

I witnessed a temp drop less heat means less friction less friction means better lubercation...

Apparently this a confusing concept I guess...

Well anywho I'm glad you understood it.

Mike

·
Registered
43 Posts
The cSt of typical 15W40 @ 40°C is 122
The cSt of typical 15W40 @ 100°C is 15.4

The cSt of typical 0W40 @ 40°C is 57.8
The cSt of typical 0W40 @ 100°C is 15.4

So the 0W40 doesn't fall below the viscosity of 15W40 @ 100°C at low temperatures. (If it did then it would be classified as 0W30)

If what you said was true, then you could drain the oil when it was cold. But you can't because the oil doesn't flow good until it hot.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts