The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright fellas, I was elk hunting back in december when my truck quit charging. First gear is real weak and I have no overdrive. The codes tell me something about 12 volts to the tranny, and something about the first gear solenoid, and the good old 1693. I get why the tranny isn't working right (not getting 12 volts?). I put on a new alternator that now has been tested twice and tests good. A buddy of mine tested the batteries with what I think was a load tester. It still won't charge! What gives?:shrug:

·
567 Posts
Are you sure its not charging? Check yur tps and look for chaffed/cut wires that will cause the voltage drop yur talking about....

B

·
0 Posts
Read this thread. Even though it is in the 12v section it still applies to your truck as well. You can also do a search on here and come up with some other threads on this subject with the same basic answers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bouncer. Looks like I'll be buying a regulator tommorrow.

B

·
0 Posts
No problem, just make sure you get a wiring diagram for the regulator so you know which one of the three post is the hot post for the battery signal. The other two doesn't matter which way they are hooked onto the alternator.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can anybody get me a part # for that regulator?

B

·
0 Posts
They were on about every Chrysler vehicle from the mid 60's thorugh early 80's. Any parts house worth walking into should be able to find you one. Sorry, I do not have a part number though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is this the one?

Attachments

B

·
0 Posts
Nope, needs to be a three post. Looks about the same though.

On edit: It could be a two post, but you will need to see of the pigtail for it has three wires or not. Because you must have one wire for the battery and one wire for each post of the alternator.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man, I'm kinda ignert about voltage regulators and such, but here's the diagram. I looked everywhere for a 3 prong one and can't seem to find one.

Attachments

B

·
0 Posts
That diagram is for a gas engine with a different set-up.

Here are a few threads where people have successfully wired up regulators. You might PM one of them and see where they got theirs or if they have a part number.

Thread #1

Thread #2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts