The Diesel Garage banner

new ARP's vs reuseing ARP's each time you pull heads

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if a poll has been done on the subject of ARP head studs. But just curious as to how many would buy a new set of studs everytime they pull there heads or if they would reuse the same set they had install.

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
When I worked at the shop for like 8 years doing NASCAR engine blocks, machining, GM Racing always allowed us to re-use the ARP bearing cap and head studs a certain number of times....sooooooo, I figure if they will re-use them, why cant a truck?????

:bubbakevin:bubba

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
Reuse them. :thumbsup

·
********* and Mafia #90
14,261 Posts
If you want to know you can get a stretch gauge and measure them before reusing them.. ARP will supply you with the information needed. i say reuse them at least once, MAKE SURE TO USE THEIR MOLLY LUBE upon install and use a good tq wrench in the correct fashion...

some info on that..

http://www.arp-bolts.com/Tech/TechInstall.html

Reactions: DieselFarmer

·
568 Posts
Re-use them. Ive pulled the heads on and off of race engines numerous times without worrying about using new studs.

·
2,106 Posts
I've been told that ARP directly said they can be reused as many times as you can get up until they have that spongy feel upon torquing

From talking to guys that have had a few get that way, they say it is pretty easy to tell when a stud feels like it's weekened.

·
1,709 Posts
When I worked at the shop for like 8 years doing NASCAR engine blocks, machining, GM Racing always allowed us to re-use the ARP bearing cap and head studs a certain number of times....sooooooo, I figure if they will re-use them, why cant a truck?????

:bubbakevin:bubba

If NASCAR reuses them I wouldn't think twice reusing them atleast once.

:thumbsup

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
I've re-used ARP studs in supercharged 5.0L Fords but becasue it's an undersized fastener and there aren't enough fasteners (only 10 per head like the 6.0Ls), they generally only get 2 or 3 uses before I toss them, especially if the final use was a shorter term than the previous use and gasket failure was involved.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts