The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We just got the camper and it came with EVERYTHING needed to go camping and even A LOT of other items that got tossed already. I also removed a bike rack from the rear bumper of the camper if anyone is interested, if not it will probably end up going to scrap yard eventually. Now for the questions.

Here is the hitch setup that came with the camper. I know I need to flip the drop hitch so that I can lower the front of the camper a couple of inches.

Do I really need to worry about this adjustment on the hitch or do I just put it back where it is currently at..

I also found these in the camper with all the mounting bolts/nuts to install them on the trailer. Should I add these to go along with the weight distribution hitch that is already installed.

Here is a pic of the bike carrier if anyone is interested...

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
While doing some searching on the net I found that these are the parts to make the weight distribution hitch have dual cam sway control. Right now the trailer has the bar on the right side of the tongue that hooks to the small ball and I tighten it up for sway control. Which sway control is better? or is it something that both can be used?

Sorry so many questions but I am use to pulling a gooseneck all the time...

·
1,386 Posts
Hey Aaron, I had the dual cam torsion bars on my camper when I bought it. I originaly towed it with a half ton truck. The dual cam set up works real good at controlling sway.
As far as the adjustment on your hitch goes. It's trial and error. Flip your hitch over, put it back in the same hole and see how your camper sits. You want you camper to sit level or slightly nose down. When I bought my dually it took me a couple of tries to find the right hole so the camper sat level.

Reactions: hhrecovery

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The adjustment on the hitch that I am wondering about the top hole... If you look it has spacers on each side w/ teeth on them and can move the angle of the ball back and forth. I was just wondering if that angle there mattered..

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Here is a pic of the sway control that is currently on the trailer.

·
1,386 Posts
Ok, I see what you're talking about now. That adjusts the angle of your hitch head which effects the angle of your torsion bars. If you need to lower your torsion bar to get more leverage you loosen the top bolt and move it towrds the camper on the teeth. That will lower the torsion bar where it connects to the camper and will give you more lift. After you flip your hitch I would leave it in the same spot and see how it rides. If it's too harsh move the bolt towards the truck. If it's too soft and wants to bounce too much move it towards the camper. Hope this helps.

·
1,386 Posts
That type of sway control works really good. I think I would keep what you have. The dual cam set up helps with sway but it's made more for lighter duty trucks to help with rear end sag. It gives the torsion bar more leverage to lift.

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
Aaron,

Your pics don't work for me.

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hopefully I got them fixed.
Is there anwhere you can buy just the small ball for the sway control so that I could add it onto another trailer?? I looked at camping world today but they didn't offer them seperate..

·
1,386 Posts
Try calling your local camper dealer or hitch installer. They may be able to sell you the ball seperate.

·
5,365 Posts
man to move the friction control to the other side is gonna take a LOT
more work then just buying another ball.

youll need a different hitch head and the hitch head has more steel on
the small ball / friction control arm side.

once youve got that figured out ;) then youll have to move the
friction control mount (and then the tension control RISKS rubbing
the trailer tongue, because you CANT flip it over).

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
man to move the friction control to the other side is gonna take a LOT
more work then just buying another ball.

youll need a different hitch head and the hitch head has more steel on
the small ball / friction control arm side.

once youve got that figured out ;) then youll have to move the
friction control mount (and then the tension control RISKS rubbing
the trailer tongue, because you CANT flip it over).

Thats not what I said Don, I want to use the sway control on a different trailer and in order to do that all I need is the ball to mount on the tongue of the other trailer..:thumbsup

·
5,365 Posts
Thats not what I said Don, I want to use the sway control on a different trailer and in order to do that all I need is the ball to mount on the tongue of the other trailer..:thumbsup
:eek:wned man i thought you were tryin' to swap sides sorry :wedgie

·
1,836 Posts
I find the cams far better if a trailer has bad manners.

Slacking the sway control to see if it is needed is one of the checks with a different trailer.

I prefer 1/2 in down in front, others seem to think level is best. I prefer the drop at the tow vehicle to be the same front and rear but tolerate an inch difference and the drop at the trailer wheel wells to be less than the 1/2 in allowed at the hitch.

Another check missed by many is max turn with out fouling the spring bar to the trailer frame.

keydl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts