The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought and installed a chip from DP Tuner. Jody was great to talk to and very helpfull in suggesting what I should get. I ended up w/ a 4 possition chip. It has 1. Stock, 2. 40 HP tow, 3. 80 HP econo, 4. 100HP play. I imediately loved the new found power. Wow! is all I could say for the first few days. Well now that some time has passed, I've been able to wipe the stupid grin off my face and really start paying attention to how the truck reacts on certain settings.

A little background info before I get to my observances and questions. My truck is as list in sig. Nothing special. The only mods I have that will affect the chip are a home made open air Tymar style air filter, and 3" down pipe, and a gutted cat. Previous to installing the chip, I consistently got 23-24.8 mpg. I use my truck to haul my 200 lb butt to work. 70 miles round trip. All flat, unloaded, 55-60 mph. Through-out all my chip testing I have not changed the way I drive from before I had the chip.

Now, after installing the chip I played around w/ it to see what the most fuel consious setting was going to be. I started out on the 80HP program. The truck would almost lunge forward when I let off the clutch while it was set on 80. So I decided to set it on 40 as long as I was on neighborhood streets and click it up to 80 when I entered the freeway. I drove like this for an entire fill-up. I yielded 22.8 mpg. A little dissappointed, I continued on. The next fill-up, I left the chip on 80 all the time and never touched it. Mileage got a little better. It went up to 23.2. The next fill-up I treated a little different. I wrote down the mileage when I switched tanks so I could calculate the front tank seperatly from the rear tank. During this fill-up I left the chip set to 80 for the first tank and put it on the stock setting for the second tank. Much to my suprise they each calculated to 24 mpg. Why?

I'm on the 4th fill-up since installing the chip. It's been set to stock since I filled up the other day and I've already driven farther than I have previously been able to w/ the chip on 80 and the fuel gauge is still showing above full.

Is all this normal? What should I be expecting for a mpg increase if any? Will getting a 4" exhaust help out any. So far I haven't had any trouble with high exhaust temps, but if it takes a 4" exhaust to get better miles then I'm up for it.

Now for a few questions about the chip programing. I've noticed that at the first startup of the day the glow plug light will come on for a few seconds, but while the truck is still hot, the GP light will only flash. The amp guage also reflects this. When starting cold, the needle shows a draw for 30-40 seconds. When starting hot, the gauge will come up right away. Is this a setting built into the chip or is this an unrelated issue? Also, when it's set on the stock setting and I start the truck (hot or cold) it sounds like the EBPV will cycle once after the engine has been running for a few seconds. Is this normal?

Thanks for any comments or insight anyone can offer.
BG

·
508 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the MPG. I would be ecstatic if I was getting that. I haven't seen anything that will increase your MPG, JMO. I'm sure that the 4" won't make any difference for MPG, but it is always a good idea w/ a chip to get rid of some of the heat and let it breath. As for the GP light I'm not sure. I don't have a chip just a tuner. It might be something else. I think the person w/ all the answers is going to be Jody. I hope that this helps any. I know that there will be more guys that know more about this then me.

Good luck

Sean

·
"Lady in Red&
173 Posts
BigGreen said:
I recently bought and installed a chip from DP Tuner. Jody was great to talk to and very helpfull in suggesting what I should get. I ended up w/ a 4 possition chip. It has 1. Stock, 2. 40 HP tow, 3. 80 HP econo, 4. 100HP play. I imediately loved the new found power. Wow! is all I could say for the first few days. Well now that some time has passed, I've been able to wipe the stupid grin off my face and really start paying attention to how the truck reacts on certain settings.

A little background info before I get to my observances and questions. My truck is as list in sig. Nothing special. The only mods I have that will affect the chip are a home made open air Tymar style air filter, and 3" down pipe, and a gutted cat. Previous to installing the chip, I consistently got 23-24.8 mpg. I use my truck to haul my 200 lb butt to work. 70 miles round trip. All flat, unloaded, 55-60 mph. Through-out all my chip testing I have not changed the way I drive from before I had the chip.

Now, after installing the chip I played around w/ it to see what the most fuel consious setting was going to be. I started out on the 80HP program. The truck would almost lunge forward when I let off the clutch while it was set on 80. So I decided to set it on 40 as long as I was on neighborhood streets and click it up to 80 when I entered the freeway. I drove like this for an entire fill-up. I yielded 22.8 mpg. A little dissappointed, I continued on. The next fill-up, I left the chip on 80 all the time and never touched it. Mileage got a little better. It went up to 23.2. The next fill-up I treated a little different. I wrote down the mileage when I switched tanks so I could calculate the front tank seperatly from the rear tank. During this fill-up I left the chip set to 80 for the first tank and put it on the stock setting for the second tank. Much to my suprise they each calculated to 24 mpg. Why?

I'm on the 4th fill-up since installing the chip. It's been set to stock since I filled up the other day and I've already driven farther than I have previously been able to w/ the chip on 80 and the fuel gauge is still showing above full.

Is all this normal? What should I be expecting for a mpg increase if any? Will getting a 4" exhaust help out any. So far I haven't had any trouble with high exhaust temps, but if it takes a 4" exhaust to get better miles then I'm up for it.

Now for a few questions about the chip programing. I've noticed that at the first startup of the day the glow plug light will come on for a few seconds, but while the truck is still hot, the GP light will only flash. The amp guage also reflects this. When starting cold, the needle shows a draw for 30-40 seconds. When starting hot, the gauge will come up right away. Is this a setting built into the chip or is this an unrelated issue? Also, when it's set on the stock setting and I start the truck (hot or cold) it sounds like the EBPV will cycle once after the engine has been running for a few seconds. Is this normal?

Thanks for any comments or insight anyone can offer.
BG

In your econo setting you should be seeing some mpg increase. What you are reporting as normal mpg for your truck is good though. On our 7.3 tow vehicle we average a 2-4mpg increase in our 75hp program, and that is what we hear from customers as the average increase.

Sheila Perry

·
Registered
81 Posts
had fuel 7 setting on my truck and got 19.2 mpg, truck empty, on 3000 mile trip to california and back. in econo setting now i get 15 -16 when i used to get 17-18 driving to work, its getting better mileage in high tow than economy the race setting gets 14 -15 just have to get the fuel 7 back
:usflag kirk

·
"Lady in Red&
173 Posts
DieselDadio said:
had fuel 7 setting on my truck and got 19.2 mpg, truck empty, on 3000 mile trip to california and back. in econo setting now i get 15 -16 when i used to get 17-18 driving to work, its getting better mileage in high tow than economy the race setting gets 14 -15 just have to get the fuel 7 back
:usflag kirk
We can get you your Fuel 7 back. Just fill out the reprogram form on the contact us section of our website www.tsperformance.com and send back to us.

Sheila Perry

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Byenow said:
In your econo setting you should be seeing some mpg increase. What you are reporting as normal mpg for your truck is good though. On our 7.3 tow vehicle we average a 2-4mpg increase in our 75hp program, and that is what we hear from customers as the average increase.

Sheila Perry
2-4 mpg increase! Holy cow! I was only expecting an increase, but not that much, maybe 1-2 mpg. But instead it took a nose dive and has slowly worked it's way back up since then. Now on the first fill-up I expected to get a little less, b/c of the urge to "play" w/ the new found power. But I've been a good boy since then and I'm just now back up to what I was normally running. I realize that I shouldn't expect much of a milage gain since I was already getting 23-24 consistently, but I am expecting to see somewhat of a gain.

My next move is to straight pipe the exhaust. I'm hoping that will give me the 1-2 mpg's I'm looking for, and push me up to 25-26 mpg. That would be great!

So, am I missing some mileage mods? Is there something else I need to do?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah. What's a Fuel 7 program?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
BigGreen said:
2-4 mpg increase! Holy cow! I was only expecting an increase, but not that much, maybe 1-2 mpg. But instead it took a nose dive and has slowly worked it's way back up since then. Now on the first fill-up I expected to get a little less, b/c of the urge to "play" w/ the new found power. But I've been a good boy since then and I'm just now back up to what I was normally running. I realize that I shouldn't expect much of a milage gain since I was already getting 23-24 consistently, but I am expecting to see somewhat of a gain.

My next move is to straight pipe the exhaust. I'm hoping that will give me the 1-2 mpg's I'm looking for, and push me up to 25-26 mpg. That would be great!

So, am I missing some mileage mods? Is there something else I need to do?

BigGreen,

Although you were already getting exceptional fuel mileage before a chip, keep in mind that increases with a power adder is based on an over all percentage of customers. It's hard to tell why you didn't see the gains but there are numerous possibilities why. I have found that using in addition to a economy tune, a fuel additive that will help reduce the water in the fuel that we can sometimes get at the pumps. Also a tonneau cover could possilby help but I don't know by how much. Are you 4x4 or 4x2? That can be a factor also.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My truck is a 2WD w/ SRW's. I usually run a fuel additive for one or two tanks in a row every two or three months. I usually do it in combination w/ an oil change &/or changing the fuel filter.

I do have some additional mods that I'd like to get around too eventually that I hope would make an economical differance. Electric fans to replace the stock radiator fan and a 4" exhaust. Maybe a 10K mod. I've heard it might help, but I don't know enough about it right now. I'll be happy if I can stay at 24mpg, which it looks like I'll be able to do as of right now. I'm going to be filling up tomorrow, so i'll post the results of this run.

Sometimes I think I'd like to have a tonue (sp?) cover, but sometimes I'm glad I don't. I kind of like the looks of the ones that look like a roll up door.

·
Dec. Truck Of the Month!!
264 Posts
BigGreen said:
Also, when it's set on the stock setting and I start the truck (hot or cold) it sounds like the EBPV will cycle once after the engine has been running for a few seconds. Is this normal?
BG
EBPV will cycle on the stock setting at every start up, hot or cold.

Louie

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bella PSD said:
EBPV will cycle on the stock setting at every start up, hot or cold.

Louie
It just started doing this when I installed the chip. Is it to let me know that it's running the stock program? It never did this before.

·
Dec. Truck Of the Month!!
264 Posts
BigGreen said:
It just started doing this when I installed the chip. Is it to let me know that it's running the stock program? It never did this before.
Mine has always done it. Chip or no chip.

Louie

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm. Mine has never done it before. I wonder if it's normal.

Hey SeeYa. Any input?

An update on the milage report. I filled up this afternoon and I got 23 mpg again. So, so far there's no improvement in mileage from before.

Something else I've been wondering. Why is the motor so much louder when it's on the 80 HP econo setting? Is this the injectors I'm hearing?

·
"Lady in Red&
173 Posts
BigGreen said:
EBPV question:

Your fine. Bella stated his done it with or without a chip. His chip program is probably based off the same box code that his truck came with.

The reason yours may be doing it and I say MAY.. is that you are possibly running a program other than your stock box code. Which is fine sometimes programmers upgrade your code. Some codes perform better than others. That would make sense why it does not do it without your chip.

As far as your questions on programming, I see you are running DP so I'm sure SeeYa can answer those for you.

Sheila

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
BigGreen said:
Hmm. Mine has never done it before. I wonder if it's normal.

Hey SeeYa. Any input?

An update on the milage report. I filled up this afternoon and I got 23 mpg again. So, so far there's no improvement in mileage from before.

Something else I've been wondering. Why is the motor so much louder when it's on the 80 HP econo setting? Is this the injectors I'm hearing?
BigGreen,

Yes, Sheila is right about the EBPV. Jody will have to look up and see what your orginal stock code is and see what or if he changed it. As long as the codes are in the same DPC-family then it's perfectly fine to use another code from that family. However, Ford did make some changes with the stock programing from code to code as they changed them. Example, with the 99.5 to 2001 SD's the PMT2 programming was not as good compared to the PMT1 as far as transmission shifting,fuel mileage,etc. So if you do have TEE4 and Jody changed it to TDE1 and you perfer TEE4 over TDE1 then Jody can change it back for you. Pm me your name and I will have your information ready for him to look at in the morning.

If you have any questions for Jody don't hesitate to give him a call about your programming.

I have been thinking about the mods you have done since we are looking for an OBS truck to tow with. Have you done the intercooler upgrade by chance? I have read where if you do this,since the OBS trucks are not intercooled, it will help with engine temps. Just wondering. :thanks:

Hope this helps.

On edit: I just read your sig and the code Jody would use for a manual would be mle1.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have been thinking about the mods you have done since we are looking for an OBS truck to tow with. Have you done the intercooler upgrade by chance? I have read where if you do this,since the OBS trucks are not intercooled, it will help with engine temps. Just wondering.
Nope, I haven't donethe intercooler upgrade. I've never had the need too. Even after installing the chip I haven't had temp problems. Even when I'm trying, doing a hard start, entering a freeway entrance ramp, etc. I think my next mod is going to be straight piping the exhaust w/ 4" pipe.

Just a note about my original code. It used to be a SOD4, and yeah, I think I remember Jody saying something about MLE1 when I called him to place my order.

Back up to one of my questions. Why in the engine so much louder when the chip is on the 80hp econo setting? I think it's the injectors. Am I correct.

Thanks for all your help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts